Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Place names in Yorkshire, census help - more help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 6 Apr 2005 09:41

I have a James Marshall born c 1805 Yorkshire that I need to link with a sibling Ann in parish records and I cannot do that until I decipher some place names. (Ann only gives Yorkshire as a birthplace and never a village or town. I can't find any other siblings on the IGI, VRI etc.) I have the following information 1851 - I can't find him on the census although I think he was in Cricklewood, Hendon, London or Bayswater London. 1861 - London -RG9/11/121/127,born Yorkshire but place name illegible 1871 - born Yorkshire, no place name given 1881 - RG11/1366/5/5/ born Yorkshire, place name illegible 1891 - RG12/1049/6/6 born Yorkshire , place name looks like Telford but can't be! Also says he was senile...... 1898 - died I have asked before but thought I'd give it another try as I am very stuck. Is there anyone with some knowledge of Yorkshire who could look at the censuses and perhaps recognise the place names? I could email or snail mail copies to anyone who could help Thanks for reading this missive Sylvie

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 6 Apr 2005 09:45

Transcriber has it down as Thirburn in 1881, but I don't think that's a place lol I'll have a look at the images :)

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 6 Apr 2005 09:49

Thankyou No, nor do I - I can't find a Thirburn in Yorkshire - past of present. Do you need me to send them to you? Sylvie

Belle56

Belle56 Report 6 Apr 2005 09:54

Hi Sylvie there is a Thirlby in North Riding Yorkshire. Hope this helps. Belle.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Apr 2005 09:54

I'm living in Yorkshire and I'd gladly take a look for you.

Belle56

Belle56 Report 6 Apr 2005 10:07

There is also a Saltburn. Belle.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 6 Apr 2005 10:18

I thought of Saltburn when I first saw the transcription, but looking at the image, it can't be. Got me puzzled. 1881 looks like Thirburn 1891 looks like Talford I'm still looking.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Apr 2005 10:26

Hi Sylvie I remember looking at the Telford one for you. Just looked at the 1881 and it looks like Kilburn in North Yorks to me Jeanette x

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 6 Apr 2005 10:28

Thank you all so far - in a way I am pleased that it has got you puzzled..........I have almost given up on this one but if I find it and confirm the link it links me to Oliver Cromwell's sister! Wheter a royalist or republican it's not bad for a Brown born in Paddington!!!! Sylvie

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Apr 2005 10:45

Sylvie - just got the image - crikey!! Try this site : http://www.genuki(.)org.uk/big/eng/YKS/#Towns There are lists of towns in Yorkshire.

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 6 Apr 2005 10:49

Hi Wendy, thanks but I have done all that - I have even sat with an atlas and a magnifying glass for hours! I think I am really hoping that someone with local knowledge will be able to link the three together or know the handwriting enough to give me one definite! Does anyone think I will have to employ and 'expert'? Sylvie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Apr 2005 10:57

The 1881 image looks like Kirkburn to me. This is south west of Driffield. Kath. x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 6 Apr 2005 10:59

I'm stumped. Can't think of anywhere that these two places might be. I had a look on the IGI to see if anything looked like them, but found nothing. Perhaps someone else would have better luck. Sorry I couldn't help :(

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Apr 2005 11:03

I offered that one last time Kath. There is also Kilham not far away from there but the 1881 image doesn't quite look like that. Jeanette x

Geoff

Geoff Report 6 Apr 2005 11:39

I agree with possibly Kirkburn, but it is not written as such as there is only one tall letter in the middle of the word. It's quite possible that it was locally pronounced as Kirburn I suppose. I'll add Kirkham as a possibility - perhaps someone who couldn't spell it telling someone who'd never heard of it and it gets entered at Kirkam.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Apr 2005 12:39

if some one who couldn't spell it telling someone who'd never heard of it thirburn could actually be Fairburn which is in yorkshire

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 6 Apr 2005 16:51

Thank you all so much - gives me something to think about! Has anyone been able to look at the 1861? That looks like Dralon! I am more than happy to send it to anyone who doesn't have access to the London 1861. Thanks again even though I still feel rather cemented in! Sylvie