Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wittering death.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paula

Paula Report 6 Apr 2005 00:17

I am trying to trace the death of a John Wittering on behalf of my auntie in Australia. All i know is that he died prior to 1928 when his daughter married as he is recorded as deceased on the marriage cert. He had 3 children- Sidney, Hilda and George who were born around the 1890s/1900s. I can see a John wittering on the 1871 and 1891 censuses that was born in 1870 but can't find him on the other two censuses. I can't see a record of his birth in 1870 on ancestry or freebmd. The death isn't on either but its likely thats in a year not transcribed yet. We want to obtain a copy of his death certificate- i could look through 1837online but i don't really want to spend to much money before i'm sure what i'm looking for as maybe John wasn't his real name as i know from my own research how they called themselves different names. Any one got any ideas? Paula

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Apr 2005 00:58

Can you say whereabouts in the good old UK of GB & NI

Paula

Paula Report 6 Apr 2005 01:15

Oops meant to say Leicester. Have now found him with surname slightly mistranscribed on both 1881 and 1901 censuses with a little bit of help but still can't find the birth. Paula

Ken

Ken Report 6 Apr 2005 01:26

please can you tell what name you have found him under in 1901

Beverly

Beverly Report 6 Apr 2005 01:47

Have sent you a message Paula Beverly

Paula

Paula Report 6 Apr 2005 07:39

Ken> They are transcribed as WITLERING on ancestry. I've also sent you an email. Paula

Paula

Paula Report 6 Apr 2005 07:46

Thanks Beverley. Now i know his name is definately John I will look on 1837 for his death Paula

Crista

Crista Report 6 Apr 2005 08:01

Paula, Check 1869 first. That year hasn't been transcribed on FreeBMD yet whereas 1870 has. Crista

Paula

Paula Report 6 Apr 2005 08:06

Thanks Christa. Beverley let me know the details from 1837 and it was 1869. I didn't realise that year hadn't been transcribed yet. Paula

Ken

Ken Report 8 Apr 2005 00:12

Paula any chance the family he is boarding with in 1891 is his elder sister? GREEN, John Thomas 1885 December Marriages Leicester (1837-1974) Leicestershire WITTERING, Sarah 1885 December Marriages Leicester (1837-1974) Leicestershire or had you already surmised that?