Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IGI Question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 5 Apr 2005 21:58

This might be a silly question but... does the IGI ever get updated - or is what is on there all that will ever be on there? Thanks Sam

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Apr 2005 22:18

Sam As far as I am aware, no. Either churches allowed the LDS to film their registers, or they didn't. So if they did they are there, and if they didn't, they aren't. But there are some omissions on what is included anyway as in some cases the baptisms for a parish are girls only. nell

Eric

Eric Report 5 Apr 2005 22:23

Hi Sam Have you thought about giving your local LDS a ring, they might be able to put you on to some further info regarding the IGI. Regards Eric Cross

Helen

Helen Report 5 Apr 2005 22:28

It seems only the member submitted stuff gets updated for UK and that can be a bit dodgy to say the least.

Sam

Sam Report 5 Apr 2005 22:30

Thanks I did think that might be the case but thought I would just check. Sam

Janice

Janice Report 5 Apr 2005 22:32

It has been updated once at least as my library has both versions. Don't know if more are planned. Janice

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Apr 2005 23:06

It has definitely been updated in the last year or so, because my 3 x GM baptism suddenly appeared and I had checked this over and over many times before. In a great lather of excitement I ordered the PR from the LDS but before it came, her siblings appeared, day by day, (previously unknown to me) then her parents marriage (going backwards of course). The PR was an utter gem, not only did it have loads of 'footnotes' but at the back of the register was a list of school pupils, their parents names, addresses, ages etc - dream family groups! Also a similar list for those who attended confirmation classes. The saintly Vicar who wrote this register never baptised an illegitimate child, nor a bastard - he merely wrote, under father's name - Known To God. I thought this was charming but my nasty brother said that was just another way of saying - God Knows! So its worth checking the IGI from time to time in my experience. These registers were for the Isle of Man incidentally, but if they are doing it, then someone else will be too. Good hunting Marjorie

Irene

Irene Report 5 Apr 2005 23:19

Yes it has been updated, not all are submitted as you will see from the batch numbers, but like everything it takes time to put them all on. Some counties like Somerset and Sussex have very little unless they have been submitted. Around the midlands seem to be the best, wiltshire is pretty good and Hampshire. Irene