Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INMATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carolyn Georgina

Carolyn Georgina Report 5 Apr 2005 12:12

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE TERM INMATE RELATES TO ON THE 1871 CENSUS. I HAVE TRACED MY GREAT GRANDFATHER TO THE AGE OF 7 AND FOR HIS PLACE OF BIRTH IT STATES ECCLESFIELD AND INMATE. COULD THIS BE A WORKHOUSE. REGARDS CAROLYN

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Apr 2005 12:14

Have you looked at the actual census image. What does it give at the top of the page. Is it an industrial school or workhouse. If you give the name and area I'll have a look on Ancestry. Kath. x

The Bag

The Bag Report 5 Apr 2005 12:23

Could be a hospital , workhouse, boarding establishment ~Jess~

Kate

Kate Report 5 Apr 2005 12:29

Only three 7-year old boys listed in ancestry's index with birthplace Ecclesfield and relationship to head 'inmate'. All are inmates of the Wortley Union Workhouse. It doesn't say it on the pages that the boys are on but if you go back a couple of pages it says it. The boys are William Brook, George Naylor and Charles Stringer. Kate.

Carolyn Georgina

Carolyn Georgina Report 5 Apr 2005 18:48

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE. KATE YOU ARE BANG ON WITH YOUR RESEARCH MY GREATGRANDFATHER WAS WILLIAM BROOK. ONCE AGAIN THANKS EVERYONE. REGARDS CAROLYN