Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FRIERN BARNET ASYLUM 1890s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Always stressed!

Always stressed! Report 5 Apr 2005 10:52

Does anyone know if there are patient records at the Friern Barnet Asylum please. If so, any idea where I would find them. Thanks Pam.

BABZ...

BABZ... Report 5 Apr 2005 12:35

Pamela Sorry can't help you with Patient Records. But there are over 2000 residence at the Friern Barnet Asylum on the 1881 Census. Any good to you? or is this where you already found your info. ...Babz

Chris

Chris Report 5 Apr 2005 13:22

I also have a relative who died at the Friern Barnet Asylum, would be interested in getting some records.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Apr 2005 13:29

I think that this was formerly Colney Hatch asylum for pauper lunatics, and that the records which still exist will be at the London Metropolitan Archives. nell

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 5 Apr 2005 14:26

Pamela, It's not a hospital anymore it's an up market houseing estate now! Kim

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Apr 2005 18:38

In the 60s and 70s I lived opposite the main gate to Friern Barnet Asylum. Colney Hatch was part of this hospital, but was on a separate site further down the road. I think there was a third site, but cannot now remember what that was called. FB was a huge site, covering many acres with something like 3000 inmates. It was a village in its own right almost, with workshops, bakery, laundry etc. staff housing, a Church and a graveyard.My neighbour was a nurse there and I can still remember her telling me, in 1970, that moves were afoot to close the Hospital by the eighties. I was incredulous - what will happen to them all, I asked. Care In The Community, she said, with raised eyebrows. It is indeed an upmarket estate now. God knows what happened to the poor souls who lived there, some had been there all their lives and as my neighbour said, although by no means perfect, it provided a haven for those who were incapable of coping on their own. Hope you find the records! Marjorie

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 6 Apr 2005 11:12

Marjorie, Where about's did you live? I lived in Parkhurst Rd in the early 70's, then top of Beaconsfield Rd. Rest of family lived in Crescent Rd. Kim

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Apr 2005 18:16

Kim I lived in Bellevue Rd for a few years, then round the corner in Holly Park Rd. I had moved away by 1972 - we accepted the princely sum of £8,500 as a Compulsory purchase price for our house and thought we were quids in - grrr, the Council changed their minds about a year later and 'our' house is now worth about £700,000! Needless to say, my present house isnt worth a fraction of that. Marjorie

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Apr 2005 19:35

I know it's a bit off topic but this thread has reminded me of a true story I heard about Leytonstone House which closed in the early eighties. There was a woman living there who had been there since the forties. She communicated with no-one for forty years and was assumed to be insane. One day, one of the other residents had two Polish visitors. As soon as the woman heard them talking she spoke for the first time. It turned out that her parents had sent her to London to work for a Polish family just before the outbreak of the war. She never heard from her family again and when the war ended and the atrocities that had happened were revealed, she fell into a deep depression. Her employees had then heartlessly dumped her at Leytonstone House where she remained for the next forty years. I believe that she finally lived out the rest of her life in a sheltered housing flat with support from the Polish community.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 6 Apr 2005 21:09

OMG Marjorie, Holly Park Road is still the same! but if hind sight? I go up there every few weeks as rellies are still there. The Orange Tree is no longer, and if I had to get a bus now, I would never know which one to get! 134 and 43 do different routes now, I rode in the last 221 tram! now that's going back :-))) Kim

Always stressed!

Always stressed! Report 7 Apr 2005 13:14

Hello all and thanks so much for replies. Lovely reading through different aspects. Will try searching and will let you know how I get on. My great grandfather married twice. By fluke I discovered his first wife died in Friern Barnet Asylum. I have just received death certificate and she died from 'general paralysis' whatever that is, in 1891. Have found out soooooo much lately. Feel like an undercover detective. Thanks again. Pam.