Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 medal card problem!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 4 Apr 2005 21:53

I have found the WW1 medal card for my Gt Grandfather, and dutifully paid my £3.50 but the darned site wont give me the details.....All I keep getting is a page cannot be displayed error message ..boo hoo..I'm proper fed up now!!! Bev X

Judith

Judith Report 4 Apr 2005 21:58

When they first put the medal cards online there was a blip and this happened to lots of us. I phoned them (there's a contact number on their site somewhere) and they sent me the page of cards as an email attachment.

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 4 Apr 2005 22:00

Thanks Judith I'll be on the phone first thing tomorrow!! Doesn't stop me from knawing my fingers in frustration tonight though.lol Regards Bev X

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 4 Apr 2005 22:32

I downlaoded one sucessfully a few weeks ago .... BUT quite frankly it was disappointing. It only had his name and number and medals awarded I hope yours is worth waiting for! Alice

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 4 Apr 2005 22:52

hi Bev Wish i'd read this thread 10 mins ago. Just been on to download my Gr Grandfather's medal card and got page cannot be displayed message. Never had problems before. Just going to send them an e-mail to find out whats happening. Jackie

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 4 Apr 2005 22:56

Hi Jackie & Alice I've emailed them too - couldn't wait until morning:-( I downloaded a card for another rellie last week with no problem so I think the problem must be at their end:-( I'm already down to the quick waiting for some certs that I ordered too....I know I need to lose some weight...but this is ridiculous..lol Alice - can you use his number to get his service records?? You never know what you could find in there???? Bev X

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 4 Apr 2005 22:59

Bev Will be up bright and early in the morning waiting for their reply.... Off to bed now though..Need an early night. Spend far too long on here as it is.. Nite nite Jackie x

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 4 Apr 2005 23:48

Hi there Bev i guess he enlisted for WW1 but do I have to write somewhere before I can acess the records? i know he was in the army in ceylon in the late 1920's so are records still unavailable to gen public and do I have to prove I am a rellie? Alice

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 5 Apr 2005 13:48

Alice I'm not sure is the honest answer as I've not actually applied for my Rellies records - I think you can get information from Kew, but I've also seen details on here for writing for them too. Perhaps if you do a search on here, or some kind soul might be able to point us both in the right direction?? Bev X

Kate

Kate Report 5 Apr 2005 15:17

I had a similar problem with downloading a will from Documents Online a couple of weeks ago and I emailed them with the details (it was late at night). The next day I downloaded it with no problems but they sent me a reply with the will as an attachment and said they were also going to try to clean the document up to get a better copy and send it to me again when they'd done it! Kate.

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 5 Apr 2005 15:21

I will put message on now - watch tips board for replies Alice

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 5 Apr 2005 20:14

I've heard nothing from the National Archives, but tried again today to d/load the medal card and had no problems:-) Now about his service records.......going to keep an eye on Alices thread for info on how to get them:-) Bev X

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 5 Apr 2005 20:25

Hi Bev Like you, I tried to download again this morning and had no problems. When I came in from work this evening, checked my e-mail amd I had an e-mail from National Archives with the medal card attached.....trouble is, its not a very good scan...finding it difficult to read At least I've now got it. Jackie x