Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you search for an address on the 1891 Censu

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 4 Apr 2005 20:49

Is it possible to search for a specific address on the 1891 census. I have been trying to find a family i am sure were living in Sunninghill at the time of the census, tried every conceivable permutation without success but I have received a birth certificate today, of a child born in January 1891 (sadly she died in 1892), but it does give me an address to search on, but I can't see anywhere to look for anything that specific on Ancestry, is it possible?- the address is Kings Ride Cottages, South Ascot, Sunninghill , Windsor. Or is there a list somewhere of the areas in the enumeration districts that I might be able to get page/folio numbers etc? Many thanks

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 4 Apr 2005 21:22

Oh that is a shame, I thought I might have a chance to find them at last! By all means please have a look for them it you have the time, but i really can't think of anything I haven't tried - there's a box of chocs in it for you if you find them! William Rhodes born Pirbright/Guildford Elizabeth Rhodes born Sunninghill Nellie Rhodes born Staines 1876 Ethel Mary Rhodes born Staines 1879 William John Rhodes born Staines 1882 George Victor Rhodes born Sunninghill Ascot 1886 Amy Rhodes born Sunninghill Ascot Jan 1891 Edith Rhodes born Sunninghill Ascot 1892 (I realise she won't show up, just shows continuity of location) Elizabeths maiden name is CRITCHER Please don't let it drive you as mad as me!

The Bag

The Bag Report 4 Apr 2005 21:34

Nellie is in yorkshire as a servant? says born leeds but until we find her else where don't discount her

Helen

Helen Report 4 Apr 2005 21:51

This is a transcribed page for Sunninghill, hope they're not yours! Name Age in 1891 Birthplace Relationship to head-of-house Civil parish County View Image ??, ?? 23 ??, ?? Servant Sunninghill Berkshire ??, ?? 45 ??, ?? Head Sunninghill Berkshire ??, ?? 15 ??, ?? Son Sunninghill Berkshire ??, ?? 4 ??, ?? Son Sunninghill Berkshire ??, ?? 11 ??, ?? Son Sunninghill Berkshire ??, ?? 11 ??, ?? Daughter Sunninghill Berkshire ??, ?? 2 ??, ?? Son Sunninghill Berkshire ??, ?? 1 ??, ?? Daughter Sunninghill Berkshire ??, Fred 24 ??, ?? Servant Sunninghill Berkshire ??, George 44 ??, ?? Wife Sunninghill Berkshire George - wife????????

Nikki

Nikki Report 4 Apr 2005 21:54

Just had a look at the details of all the ?????s Helen posted - the image is so feint you can't read any of the family however the house they lived in was between Brook House & Coombe Cottage in Sunninghill. Don't know if theat may help at all?

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 4 Apr 2005 22:14

Thank you Helen, care to place a bet?!! I have previously googled Kings Ride Cottages and Kings Ride seems to be a main thoroughfare through modern day Sunninghill. I've just done Brook House and that appears to be on a private road, can't find Coombe Cottage unfortunately. Aren't they tricky?

Helen

Helen Report 4 Apr 2005 22:31

I don't think they're in Sunninghill. Searched all boys aged 3-13 to try and find a William and George with same surname. Only three occurances, checked each image and not your family.

The Bag

The Bag Report 4 Apr 2005 22:40

I've looked at every Elizabeth living in Sunninghill, born in Sunninghill and would agree with comment above ~Jess~ have just flicked thru 32 pages of sunninghill census and can't even find kings ride cottages!!

Susan

Susan Report 4 Apr 2005 23:05

I work in the planning dept that covers that part of Sunninghill so will check our property database tomorrow to see if Kings Ride Cottages still exist and where they are exactly. Kings Ride itself is, as you say, a long road that is now actually mainly in Bracknell Forest although probably wasn't in 1891. But all that area of Windsor Forest is called Kings Ride so the Cottages may have been farther to the south. They don't ring an immediate bell with me and I do know most of the properties in the Borough - how sad am I. Sue G in Berkshire

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 4 Apr 2005 23:37

Well at least it confirms its not just me...! My only new clue is that baby Amy born in January, died in 1892, so was she poorly, could that lead to the family being elsewhere? (but I can't find any possibles anywhere!) Kings Ride Cottage is given as the birth address for Amy in 1891 and Edward in 1897, only Sunninghill for Edith in 1893, so it would be interesting to know where the cottage was. Thank you Glitter Baby for the 1881 census info, i do have all those details, but it was very kind of you to check. My interest in the 1891 census stems from not being able to find William Rhodes's birth record or anything near it. As you can see in the 1881 census as Pirbright and in 1901 its Guildford. I was interested to see what he put in the 1891. But i have a possible on a William ROSE, I have found a candidate and hope the birth certificate will be here tommorow or the day after. I was going to post about it when I received it, if the fathers name matched to get some opinions - obviously a matched fathers christian name does not a confirmed connection make, , its just that Amy's certificate came today, and as it gave a birth address, I thought I'd have another go at the 1891. So if the fathers name works out I hope you all won't mind if I seek your opinions on a possible Rose line. I'm off to my wee bed now (what a lightweight!)