Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Crests/Coats of Arms/Surname History

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 4 Apr 2005 19:16

Does anyone know any decent websites where I can get a copy of my family's crest or coat of arms as I have heard about a few scams going around?

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Apr 2005 19:21

Alison Unless you are entitled to a Coat of Arms (which if you were you would almost certainly know about), then any crests/coats of arms etc would be just made up. Some people like to have these but they aren't authentic. As for surnames, there are lots of reference books on surnames. nell

Sam

Sam Report 4 Apr 2005 19:29

I think that coats of arms relate to the particular family they are given to only, not anyone who shares that surname. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this! Sam

Janet

Janet Report 4 Apr 2005 19:47

As other people have already said you would know if you were entitled to a Coat of Arms. The ones that are sold to you are just shams and have no meaning whatsoever. To find out if you are entitled you can write to: College of Arms Queen Victoria Street London EC4V 4BT Website: http(://)www(.)college(-)of(-)arms(.)gov(.)uk(/)Enquiries(.)htm remove brackets. I understand that the cost for the information, positive or negative, is quite expensive. Janet

Alison

Alison Report 4 Apr 2005 19:51

Thanks for all your info, somehow i very much doubt i'm entitled to such a coat of arms, but thanks anyway

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 4 Apr 2005 20:30

I endorse everything said above. If you go to your local reference library, look for Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, or Burke's Landed Gentry, they have official crests in with who they were granted to and some of the linage. You never know maybe someone in your tree, siblings of great grandparents etc may have been granted one. My gr grandfathers brother was and although we can't claim the crest as our's it is nice to have a copy of it in my album.