Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Lambeth, Surrey Parish Records Wher Do I get

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 4 Apr 2005 17:14

Hi I have found a birth for William James Williams parents James Williams and Amelia ? on the latter day saints site stating christened 22 OCT 1822 Saint Mary, Lambeth, London, England. How do I find out when he was born? Who do I need to contact to get the certificate? This is the first time I have come across someone that I need parish records for so any help would be appreciated. Kim

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 4 Apr 2005 17:17

The London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) is the place to go for London parish records. Lambeth is in there. You don't order a certificate, as such. It requires that you looks through the parish record. For example, you have the date of marriage, you find the correct microfilm and look on the machines provided at the centre. The marriage record will just give their names, the date they married, whether or not they were of the same parish as to where they married, and the names of witnesses. The baptism record should give parents name (usually NOT the mother's maiden name), occupation of father and possibly where they live. Good luck! Chloe

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Apr 2005 17:19

London Metropolitan Archives will hold microfilm of the registers, as do LDS. A photocopy of the image will show occupation of the father and possibly an address, but you will not get any more detail at this period. Usually if a birth date is noted on the baptismal entry, LDS have recorded this.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Apr 2005 17:19

But if you do find a cert on the microfilm you can take a photocopy for a few p. The LMA is round the corner from the FRC and up stairs. Staff are helpful and there are useful guidance notes on various topics to help you. As well as parish baptisms, marriages & burials, it has other useful info including old maps, school registers, electoral rolls etc and lots of books. It also has The Times on microfilm going way back. nell

Kim

Kim Report 4 Apr 2005 17:20

Hi Chloe, Thanks for that I will give the LMA a go. Kim

Kim

Kim Report 4 Apr 2005 17:22

Thanks to Helen and Brenda. All I have to do now is arrange a day out!!! Kim

Keith

Keith Report 4 Apr 2005 17:44

Hi Kim. There is a Library in Lambeth that holds all the records, I think it's near the Camberwell area of South London, although I've never been. If you go on the Lambeth Council Web site, it will give the address. Also you can phone them, and they have researchers who will do searches for you, but I think they charge a lot of money. All the best Keith.

Kim

Kim Report 4 Apr 2005 17:51

Thanks Keith, It is worth a try as I am in Suffolk so it would be a whole day out for me. Kim

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Apr 2005 17:55

Hi Kim Lambeth is covered by East Surrey Family History Society. It might be worth looking at their website as they have produced various indexes for this period of poor law material. Many of the people living in Lambeth would not necessarily have been born in the parish. Settlement examinations might provide a clue as to where the parents came from.