Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old ship's --how would I find info??????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 4 Apr 2005 10:04

Can anyone tell if i can search for an old ship/vessel from 1849? I have just recieved a death cert and my ancestor died of cholera at sea on the 'Auckland' in 1849 it gives the Master of the vessel Auckland as the informant. This was at Stockton.

Peter

Peter Report 4 Apr 2005 10:44

The only 2 ways I can think off is via Llodys register or the NA. I have tryed Goggeling and some of my look up sites and found noting there so its down to looking through the aboves records

Abigail

Abigail Report 4 Apr 2005 11:18

I knew there were some records at the national archivist site but unfortunately they only list deaths at sea from 1854 to 1890 Don't know what else to suggest at the moment Abigail

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Apr 2005 13:16

Two books rom the Genfair website: 'Records of Merchant Shipping and Seamen By Kelvin Smith, Christopher T. Watts & Michael J. Watts. A guide to merchant ships and seamen from the 16th century onwards, this book explains and illustrates the complex registration records for both ships and men, together with Crew Lists and Agreements which are now scattered throughout a number of repositories in Britain and abroad. It also includes chapters on fishermen and fishing vessels, the Royal Navy Reserve and War Service, and shows how to look for information about maritime disasters such as those which happened to the 'Titanic' and 'Lusitania'. 131 pages (25x19cm) Price: £6.99 ( + 0.00 VAT in UK/EU) + postage Basic Facts About Using Merchant Ship Records for Family Historians This booklet is for those who have heard of a ship's name in which an ancestor sailed, and for those who have their forebear's Certificate and Application which lists ships. It is also for those whose ancestors may have invested in shipping, as many did in the 19th century. Records of merchant ships are very detailed, and there are fairly comprehensive listings of ships from the middle of the 18th century. This booklet lists what is available at a number of places in Britian, and also on the Internet. By Peter Hogg (FFHS, 1999).16 pages (A5). Price: £2.00 ( + 0.00 VAT in UK/EU) + postage'

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Apr 2005 13:29

Hiya Ann I found this site http://www.pbenyon(dot)plus(dot)com(/)Gazette(/)Index(dot)html Hope it works! It seems to have alot of info on ships around that time (tho may be alot of searching thru it) Hope it helps Vikkixx

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 4 Apr 2005 13:37

By Googling for HMS Auckland the majority of sites refer to the 1st and 2nd World Wars BUT there is one reference to a ship of that name back in the 1850s and 1860s in connection with the King of Siam but no further references regarding the building, launch of other use of the ship. If your rellie died of cholera maybe this is result of sailing in oriental waters. Have a look at http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai(.)com/ayutthaya23.html (remove the brackets).

BABZ...

BABZ... Report 4 Apr 2005 13:52

Another well known site that might be of interest to you... http://www(.)theshipslist(.)com/index(.)html remove the ( ) ...Babz

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 4 Apr 2005 18:54

Many thanks to you all for all this info, I'll give them all a try. Ann

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 4 Apr 2005 19:23

Hi, When I needed information on an old vessel, I went to the local library and they had copies of all the LLoyds List and I found what I was looking for. It gave details of what the ship was made from and who was the captain for that year. Regards, Jackie