Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need some ideas please - one step forward, two bac

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 4 Apr 2005 00:50

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 4 Apr 2005 00:51

A while ago Kim on here helped me to sort out my search for my George Johson family. I had lost his parents after 1881 census. Turns out, just to confuse me, that unbeknown to my Mum his mother died and his father remarried and went on to have more children. At that point of my search I was trying to find either death or birth cert of Henry as he hadn't put his father on his marriage cert. I was delighted to find this hereto unknown marriage and sent off for the certificate hoping dad was on it this time. Problem - his father is on the certificate but as Henry VARNEY, so shock, horror he must have been illegitimate. Thing is the witnesses to the second marriage are John & Anne Varney, perhaps a husband & wife, which would indicate Henry Johnson knew his dad and family - or am I being too presumptious? I have found a Henry Varney with a son John living in Buckinghamshire (Henry Johnson was born Lamport, Bucks c. 1848). How do I work out the connection? If I look for Henry Johnson on 1837 will it give me a fathers name? I have no idea of his mother's name until I find the birth certificate and I guess if I find the death cerficate it will only, if anything, give me the father again. Henry Johnson's second marriage was to Georgina Totty in Sep 1889 and they are on the 1901 census both still alive. Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated Karen

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 4 Apr 2005 10:35

nudge

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 4 Apr 2005 10:43

I'm a little confused... are you looking for the birth of George or Henry, or both?

Abigail

Abigail Report 4 Apr 2005 11:24

1837 only gives you mother's maiden name after about 1911 Abigail

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 4 Apr 2005 11:24

Tracy - thanks for the reply - sorry if I confused you, I'm looking for the birth of Henry Johnson to establish his parents. Karen

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 4 Apr 2005 11:25

Ok, so when should he be born? Around 1848? In Bucks? The father's name isn't shown anywhere except certificate, and is unlikely to be shown if he was illegitimate.

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 4 Apr 2005 11:27

Tracy - he should be born around 1848, all the census ages agree except the 1901 where both he and wife's ages go a bit wrong. Henry Johnson is a common name so wondering what info is available to help narrow down picking the reference. Would 1837 or family relatives be best? - Karen

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 4 Apr 2005 11:28

familyrelatives doesn't have those dates, so it's 1837 :) Before paying 1837, have you looked at these? Births Jun 1847 Johnson Henry Potterspury 15 360 Births Dec 1847 JOHNSON Henry Buckingham 6 323 JOHNSON Henry Leonard Henley 16 7_ Births Mar 1848 JOHNSON Henry Wycombe 6 4__ Births Sep 1849 JOHNSON Henry Potterspury 15 359

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 4 Apr 2005 11:29

Ok, will give it a go - Karen

Abigail

Abigail Report 4 Apr 2005 11:35

Go Away Karen! I have just turned my brain inside out trying to work out where the connection might be, eg, his mother was actually a Varney to him being given to the Johnsons because they had no sons. I haven't the faintest idea of how to sort it out, but I do have a thumping headache and the room is starting to spin. Have you thought of contacting a medium? LOL! Abigail

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 6 Apr 2005 20:23

Tracy, thanks for those I'll have a look at them. Sorry not to respond sooner but been away for a few days (easter hols here) with 7 children!. Abigail - I too have been coming up with ideas, my hubby says all my suggestions are out of a Catherine Cookson novel and are rubbish! His mum could be a Varney (hadn't thought of that one!) - have a drink on me !