Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAMILY WILLS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Espana

Espana Report 3 Apr 2005 23:23

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE COPIES OF ONE OR TWO OLD FAMILY WILLS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME AS TO WHERE COPIES CAN BE FOUND? Cindy

Billykim

Billykim Report 3 Apr 2005 23:30

Try Ancestory.co.uk they have a section on wills. scroll down to the bottom and click where it says other to bring you to another page and follow it from there . The site is pretty easy to use... If I can use anyone can.

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 3 Apr 2005 23:31

I saw my gr gr grandfathers at the County Records Office, they had it on fiche, so if you live near the same county when your ancester lived try there. I believe only copies of wills made before about 1857 have been kept.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 3 Apr 2005 23:46

There are some wills (I found some of my family ones) here online and they aren't expensive to download. documentsonline(.)nationalarchives(.)gov.uk/ Remove brackets and add www. Sue

Judith

Judith Report 3 Apr 2005 23:53

Wills before 1858 which were proved in the Canterbury courts are available online from the National Archives, and others may be found in County Records office. After 1858 they certainly were kept, and are available from the National Probate office in York. If you contact them with the name, address and date of death they will do a search and provide a copy of the will if there was one for £5. (Most County Records offices hold indexes to these post 1858 wills if you want to check if your relatives made one) Theres a link to information about post 1858 wills on the HomePage here on Genes Reunited.

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 4 Apr 2005 00:24

Thanks for putting me right Judith, I've looked back to my old help sheet and realise I misread it. Death duty registers were replaced by individual files and those are kept for only 30years. I'll be searching for wills now. Thanks