Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'FULL AGE' FOR MARRIAGE IN 1846?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 3 Apr 2005 21:54

Hi, Am I right in thinking the 'full' (legal) age for marriage in 1846 would have been 21? Thanks Jacqui

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 3 Apr 2005 22:03

Thanks Alan. Wonder if a 16 year old cud have got away with lying about her age in 1846! Must have the wrong marrige certificate. Jacqui

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Apr 2005 22:06

Jacquie I presume you are going on Baptism Records to know that she was only 16 when she married? Don't forget that Baptism could take place many years after birth. Hope this helps Marjorie

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 3 Apr 2005 22:16

Hi Marjorie /Alan thanks for the tips. I'm going by her age on 1851 and 1861 census - 20 and 30. And a possible match for her in 1841 when she was 11 - father name and occupation match on marriage certificate and the 1841 census too. But all this makes her 16 in 1846. Jacqui

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 3 Apr 2005 22:39

My husbands G grandmother in 1867 got married at 16 and my GG Grandmother got married at 17 to a 34 year old in 1874 I think it was ok as long as they got permission from parents My Late mother in law had to get permission in 1950 as she was 21 the very next day!!! Jeanette

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 3 Apr 2005 22:45

Thanks Jeanette. Did yor certificates state the ages or just full age? Jacqui

Geoff

Geoff Report 3 Apr 2005 23:24

'Full age' means they said they were old enough. That's all.