Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brick wall with Morans

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glenys

Glenys Report 3 Apr 2005 20:53

Hi I'm having great difficulty tracing my grandmother's parents prior to 1871. The family name was Moran in the 1871 and 1881 census but in the 1891 census they're shown as Gibson. It's definitely the same family, all the children are the same and the ages fit. In one census it says the mother (Mary Elizabeth Moran, nee Wilson, born c.1856) was born in Jarrow but in another it says South Hylton where they were living at the time. The father (Joseph, c. 1855) is shown as being born in South Hylton. I can't find a birth entry for either parent or a marriage entry. I've looked under Wilson, Moran and Gibson, and don't know what to do next. I do know that Joseph couldn't read or write so it may be that the spelling is wrong (it was wrong on his daughter's birth certificate, i.e. Marron instead of Moran. I 've tried searching under Wilson but you can imagine how many Mary Elizabeth Wilson's there are and so far I can't find a corresponding marriage entry for a Joseph Mortan/Gibson. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kate

Kate Report 3 Apr 2005 21:01

Sorry, but I can't even find any of them on any of those censuses! I presume that Joseph and Mary weren't married in 1871 as Mary would only have been 14 or 15? Kate.

The Bag

The Bag Report 3 Apr 2005 21:22

what name were they under in 1871. I can't find them either ~Jess~

Helen

Helen Report 3 Apr 2005 21:23

I know this is only a member submission on the IGI and not necessarily checked to Parish records but it may be a clue JOSEPH SMITH MORIN Male Event(s): Birth: 15 OCT 1856 Southwick, Durham, England Parents: Father: ISAAC MORIN Family Mother: MARTHA Messages: LDS Church membership record of a deceased person. The original records cannot be sent to family history centers. Checked my map and Southwick is a couple of miles from South Hylton.

Helen

Helen Report 3 Apr 2005 21:26

The same Church member has these two but they do not have parents details 2. GEORGE F. MORIN - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Other: 03 AUG 1856 Sunderland, Durham, England 3. ISAAC MORRIN - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Other: 15 OCT 1854 Sunderland, Durham, England

Helen

Helen Report 3 Apr 2005 22:02

Isn't this them in 1891, not as Gibson though! Morron, Joseph 36 Gateshead, Durham Head [Ford] Durham Morron, Mary E 35 Deptford, Durham Wife [Ford] Durham Morron, John 10 So Hylton, Durham Son [Ford] Durham Morron, Mary Ann 6 So Hylton, Durham Daughter [Ford] Durham Morron, Joseph 4 So Hylton, Durham Son [Ford] Durham Morron, Hannah 1 So Hylton, Durham Daughter [Ford] Durham

Helen

Helen Report 3 Apr 2005 22:23

Mary Elizabeth Wilson married June 1875 Sunderland 10a 843 So far only three names have been transcribed by FreeBMD French, Elizabeth Jane 1875 June Marriages Sunderland Co. Durham Tyne and Wear Welsh, Thomas 1875 June Marriages Sunderland Co. Durham Tyne and Wear WILSON, MARY ELIZABETH 1875 June Marriages Sunderland Co. Durham Tyne and Wear Perhaps Joseph is the missing man? The pages for 1875 marriages are not available to view on FreeBMD so you will have to check 1837 etc.

Glenys

Glenys Report 4 Apr 2005 10:08

Thanks for all the help. I'm afraid I gave you some duff info. I've got so many documents and names and dates etc. The censuses I found the Morans in was 1881 and 1891 and Gibson was 1901, not 1871, 1881 and 1891. Apologies for getting my facts wrong. I'll check out the information you all posted though. Thanks again.