Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In need of a little inspiration please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Apr 2005 17:23

See below

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Apr 2005 17:24

I’ve been hunting for my 3xgrandfather, George Bibb, for the best part of 3 years now. Thanks to LOTS of help from Joan and recent lookups from Jess, some of the pieces of the family are starting to slot together but I still can’t locate George. I have his marriage 1st December 1850 in Kensington and his death in Marylebone in 1858. His father William was a Tailor and all 4 of his brothers have baptisms listed on IGI…the eldest in Staffordshire in 1815, the next one in Glos in 1817, then in Lambeth 1819 and St Pancras 1824 so I’m fairly sure he was born in London somewhere as he seems to fit in between Lambeth and Pancras. The question is where? He has so far evaded me on the 1841 and 1851 using the address from the 1824 baptism and the ones off his own and his brothers' marriage certificates. I have 3 of his brothers on the 51 but George and wife Sarah Ann aren’t in the immediate area. Have I missed anything? Can anyone suggest a ‘next step’? Thanks Lou

Linen

Linen Report 3 Apr 2005 17:29

Lou, I think Kensington is the Bermuda triangle of London. Your rellie is hiding somewhere with mine Vivienne

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Apr 2005 17:31

Vivienne Tell me about it! Steve He would have been born 1820-1822 Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Apr 2005 21:20

Hi Chris I've tried ALL the addresses I have for them - one in 1829, then 1841, 1848 and 1850 and they aren't at any of them in either 41 or 51. I've searched the Trade Directories and the Post Office Directories that are available online and the ones that I've been lucky enough to find people offering lookups in and they aren't listed! I can't even find a death for his father, never mind a will. I don't think he died, he evaporated! Lou

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Apr 2005 00:26

Lou There are quite a few surname indexes for 1851 London. Have all the available ones been checked for you? I can't remember if Kensington is covered, but Marylebone certainly is, and there are indexes for south of the river. Have you any idea why the father was moving about so much? Also, with the trade directories, there seem to be more entries in the later ones, which is a pain. It sounds as if you really have a struggle on your hands. Good luck Brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Apr 2005 00:38

Hi Brenda So far, the 1851 Name Indexes for Paddington, Kensington and Hammersmith have been checked for me but no others. They threw up several Bibb's but not mine! Have you any idea where I could get a look up on other indexes? So far I've been using the London Look Up Exchange but have exhausted all the indexes available on there! I think the father was possibly a Journeyman Tailor, there's a large contigency of Bibb's in the Warwickshire/Staffs area and I'm fairly sure they're connected and that William and Mary were from up there originally. However, until I can locate them in 1841 to see whether it states born in county or not, I'm not sure! I've also located the baptisms of all George and Sarah's children but they aren't at any of those addresses either in 1851. They certainly liked to move house! As I said, I've been limited to the Trade Directories available online, although I have asked for a look up in the 1839 and 1846 Piggotts which someone on the LUE is now offering! Lou