Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

North Leicestershire Help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 3 Apr 2005 00:22

see below

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 3 Apr 2005 00:38

I have a great great great grandfather Named Thomas Spalton who was born, according to the 1841 census in leicestershire. He was living in Bottesford, and died there (gravestone) in 1843 abt 6 Feb) aged 65 which means he was born c 1777 - can't find birth! In the 1841 census, the houses were recorded in the order Church Street, High Street, Spaltons Row, Bridge Street. This is the record for the Hamlet of Easthorpe but none of the names fit, so I think it must be present day Bottesford itself.... The 1901 census gives me Church St, Grantham Road, Spalton Row, Market Street My problem is that I need to locate the site of High St/Spaltons Row on the present day map and neither Spaltons Row nor Bridge Street seem to be there... I am visiting UK in a couple of months and want to pin down the location - can anyone help?? Regards Peter (Auckland NZ)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Apr 2005 00:42

Hi Peter, Just a suggestion, try Googling 'Old Maps' for the area and see what that throws up....... I have the same problem trying to find old pubs lol maggie

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 3 Apr 2005 02:15

Greeting's Peter..... I've had a look on the 1841. Census and in the folder for the hamlet of Easthorpe and it states this village came under the parish of Bottesford ..... Following the pages it comes out of Church street turns east along the then High st and the 1st entry on high street is the Household of your Thomas Spalton aged 60. next entry is for Spalton Row (which I assume is just a row of houses along the High Street.) Looking on the old map (1888) the old High street carried on eastward and then kinked north towards Wash Dyke Bridge This I take it to be your Bridge Road.? then turned eastward On the modern maps todays main road bypasses this part but the old high street is still there but named Rutland Lane. So I would think if you start your search from the corner of Church Street and turn east and Spalton Row should be within a few yards of this junction. Just a word of warning they are keen on parking within the village so mind where you park.... MIKE. P.S. I'll have a look around my other disks and see if I can come up with anything else for you.....

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 3 Apr 2005 05:22

Thanks Mike - I think even I can work it out from such a comprehensive answer. Peter

Willsy once more

Willsy once more Report 3 Apr 2005 19:26

Hello Peter, Do not live too far away from Bottesford and know of the church you speak of in Bottesford as my daughter's godfather is buried there. Bottesford is on a road called the A46, Easthorpe is a couple of turnings later off this road from the Bottesford turn off. If I can be any help please e-mail as the road the Church is on is still Church .... but not sure if it is street or Lane. Easthorpe is a very small village Elaine

Willsy once more

Willsy once more Report 3 Apr 2005 19:44

Sorry in my haste to reply have written A46 and it should be A52 Elaine