Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stepping Stones - 1851 census online - Can't find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Apr 2005 13:18

Hi, I have bought myself 25 credits for Stepping Stones to access the 1851 Middlesex census. I have a few addresses from the 1861 census and from various certificates and know the registration districts they are in - I have wasted about 6 credits now trying to find a street, and wonder if there is an easier way than to use up all my credits, am I missing something? Is there an street index for this cencus anywhere? Any help greatly appreciated. Jackie

SilverLady

SilverLady Report 2 Apr 2005 15:58

Hi Jackie, I did the same and I am also having problems. I registered last night and could not access until this morning. I have already `wasted` 5 credits just looking around. I will be watching this space with interest and hoping to learn something. Good luck Marianne.

Linen

Linen Report 2 Apr 2005 17:23

Very interesting! I set up a disposable address to use on this site but something stopped me going ahead. I too will watch with interest Vivienne

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 3 Apr 2005 00:06

Further to my cry for help earlier - I have spent all my credits now - and got nowhere - I'm cross eyed, boss eyed and goggle eyed!! I found one street, and my lot weren't there anyway after all that - I knew the Registration districts, sub districts etc. but still could not find these streets - maybe London is like Bragadoon and they disapear into the mist and only come out every 100 years or so - sooner than waste another £10 on credits, I think I'd be better off buying the census for £39.99 - then I can go through it page by page - wonder how long it would take to go through the census page by page - they are out there somewhere my lot - somewhere in the twilight zone!! Maybe I'm extremely thick, but I found it very difficult to access the 1851, I know you only have the original cenus pages, not like the other census who have name searches etc. but it would not be too difficult for Stepping Stones to at least compile a Street Index with reference to which street is on each folio - especially as they are charging for credits - I will email and suggest this to them - I hope I'm not making a complete idiot of myself and it's there and I've missed it!!!!!! Jackie

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 3 Apr 2005 01:48

Jackie, Try this site, it has only 2% of the 1851 census but quite a lot of Middlesex - and it is free. You can also check to see if the names you are looking for are included. http.www(.)compter(.)org/ You never know you just might be lucky and it won't cost anything to look. Kathleen

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 3 Apr 2005 03:03

Thanks Kathleen for the site - haven't found anything yet, but it's much better than Stepping Stones. jackie

Bill

Bill Report 3 Apr 2005 04:55

> http.www(.)compter(.)org/ That's not a valid web address. This is the correct one..... http://www(.)compter.org/ Cheers, Bill Sydney, Australia

SilverLady

SilverLady Report 3 Apr 2005 12:00

Hi again Jackie, I do not think that you are doing any thing wrong. I think that the site is not as good as it could be. I have a BIG birthday coming up soon and have asked my daughters for the 1841 and 1851 census (which they think is a funny thing to ask for but are still going to buy for me). Lets hope we have better luck. Best wishes Marianne.

Hilary

Hilary Report 3 Apr 2005 12:23

Bill, is it not the same address-just remove all brackets? best wishes Hilary