Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost Naval Officer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 2 Apr 2005 06:39

Does anyone have any idea how I can trace an ancestor who was a Retired Naval Officer and still living in 1938. I have his name, George Robert Yates, but have no idea when or where he was born. I have tried various programmes through Google, but none of them are any help. Hoping someone can put me on the right track. Many thanks, June from Brisbane.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Apr 2005 07:57

You might find something useful (relevant links) via this site: http://www.angelfire.*com/de/BobSanders/Site.html (remove *) Christine

Joan

Joan Report 2 Apr 2005 09:14

I wonder if your local British Legion could help? Joan

Joan

Joan Report 2 Apr 2005 09:21

On a different tack...could this be him in 1901 census...seems likely George Robert Yates Birth: abt 1869 - Wolverhampton : Vessels Residence: 1901 - Malta, Royal Navy, England Source: Census - 1901 England Census Joan

Martin

Martin Report 2 Apr 2005 09:21

What age was he? Aren't some retired officers on the 'reserve list'. Did he serve in WWII? Some retired officers served in desk jobs during the war. How senior - is there likely to be an obituary when he died? Any idea what ships he served on? There might be an association for the ship which could have information. MB

June

June Report 2 Apr 2005 10:16

Christine: Thank you very much for your suggested site which I will certainly see if it can help. Much obliged for your kindness. Regards, June.

June

June Report 2 Apr 2005 10:25

Joan: I have no idea whether or not there is a branch of the British Legion in Brisbane, but will certainly make enquiries. However, the information you found on the 1901 seems to be relevant to my query. I tried to find George Robert Yates myself on the 1901 but did not have the success you did! So thank you very much for your help - I should be able to get his birth certificate now. Much obliged for your kindness. June.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2005 10:26

hi june, search national archives for naval officer, you shoud get info to find your george, but you may have to send for records, tony

June

June Report 2 Apr 2005 10:33

Martin, Thank you for your answer to my query . Unfortunately I know very little about George Robert Yates but you have given me a few ideas to follow up for my research. Much obliged for your help. June.

June

June Report 2 Apr 2005 10:37

Hi Tony, I will have a look at the National Archives and see if they know anything about George Robert Yates. Thanks very much for the suggestion. Best wishes, June.