Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed translating image on Ancestry, Please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wifey

Wifey Report 1 Apr 2005 21:58

Having a really dull day, so a second (or third) pair of eyes needed to decipher some writing on Ancestry. 1871 census for Lambeth, London. Transcribed as George Chittlebargh (should be Chittleburgh) age 43, born Topcroft, Norfolk. That's the easy bit - Does anyone have any ideas of the Street name they are living at. Also trying to decide the birthplace of George, age 12 (Could it be Halesworth?) and the birthplace of Rosa. Any help will be much appreciated. Paula x

Susan

Susan Report 1 Apr 2005 22:00

Road looks like S Lam Rd, which I'd take to mean South Lambeth Road ... S:>

Wifey

Wifey Report 1 Apr 2005 22:04

Cheers Susan, I couldn't see that!! Will look into it. Thanks again Paula x

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 1 Apr 2005 22:19

If you go to Image 1 you cane see name of street south Lambeth road i have copied down places of birth incase some body else can desipher it Hallawooter, Suffolk, England Letcande, Berkshire, Clowicklearch, Surrey, England

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 1 Apr 2005 22:31

Hi, had a look on 1881, the address is still South Lambeth Rd Georges birthplace is given as Halesworth and Rosa's as Southwark (nothing like that on 1871 LOL) Christine

Wifey

Wifey Report 1 Apr 2005 22:37

Hi Jeanette, I did say I was having a really dull day, LOL!! Hi Christine, I did check those on the 1881. Although Jane lived in Letcombe Bassett, she was baptised in Hampshire, which ties in with what she says on the 1871 and 1881. BUT still having problems with the birthplace of Rosa. From various census's, have Southwark, St saviour, and whatever it says on the 1871. Thanks for all your help Paula x

Susan

Susan Report 1 Apr 2005 23:06

Just had another look and now think Rosa's birthplace looks like 'Christ church, Surrey' ... haven't come across an area in Lambeth called Christ Church before, so it's probably not! S:>

Wifey

Wifey Report 3 Apr 2005 22:24

Hi Susan and Linda, Thanks for that. More digging on this lot!! Tanks again Paula x

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 3 Apr 2005 22:52

Clerkenwell Surrey I think that is the last one came accross it when I was looking for one my family i think I have spelt it right Jeanette

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 3 Apr 2005 22:54

Paula, is this George in 1881 and 1901? If so i guess it is Halesworth... George Chittleburgh Birth: abt 1860 - Halesworth, Suffolk, England : Godalming Residence: 1901 - Farncombe, Surrey, England Source: Census - 1901 England Census George Chittleburg Birth: 1860 - Halesworth, Suffolk, England Residence: 1881 - 92 South Lambeth Rd, Lambeth, London, England Source: Census - 1881 England Census Wish it were as easy to find the birthplace of Skinner lol! alice

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 3 Apr 2005 22:59

I guess Rosa was Southwark Surrey: 1881 Jane Alder abt 1830 Whichurch, Hampshire, England Head Lambeth George Chittleburg abt 1860 Halesworth, Suffolk, England Step Son Lambeth Rosa J. A. Chittleburg abt 1867 Southwark, Surrey, England Daughter Lambeth Alice

Wifey

Wifey Report 3 Apr 2005 23:09

Hi Mad Alice, That's them!! If only Skinner Chittleburgh/Chettleborough would magically appear as easily!! ANDF those Newports!! Bye for now Paula x