Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Time difference Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 31 Mar 2005 15:59

Before I phone what is the difference between the time in Australia and England.Jane

Melissa

Melissa Report 31 Mar 2005 16:21

If your calling WA they are 2-3hrs behind Australian Eastern Standard Time (Sydney). :-) Mel.

Linen

Linen Report 31 Mar 2005 17:05

Hi A little tip if you are likely to call Aus often. When you find the time zone you are calling set a spare clock to their time & you won't have to work it out again. I have family in NZ & I have a sticky label on the clock saying NZ time & I make a note of when they change for daylight saving [usually about a week before us]. Vivienne

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 31 Mar 2005 17:25

Perth are now 7 hrs ahead

Bill

Bill Report 1 Apr 2005 01:41

Normal 'Eastern Standard Time' in Australia is 10 hours in *advance* of UTC (aka Zulu, or GMT). Daylight Saving time in Australia is a bit complex. Not all states use Daylight Saving time, some stay on Standard time. For those states which do use Daylight Saving time, it commences towards the end of October and finishes towards the end of March (so the whole country is currently now back on Standard times). The Standard Time zones in Australia are: AEST = UTC - 10 hours (ACT, NSW, QLD, TAS, VIC) ACST = UTC - 9.5 hours (NT, SA) AWST = UTC - 8 hours (WA) To determine the time difference to Australia you will need to know the current time relationship to UTC for where you are, then allow for any adjustments for Daylight Saving time at either end. Cheers, Bill Sydney, Australia

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 1 Apr 2005 02:09

Just double-click on the little clock in the bottom-right-hand corner of your screen. Then go to the 'Time Zone' tab. The drop-down list shows the time difference to GMT for just about anywhere in the world, and you can even click on the map to show the time in that area relative to GMT. All you need to do then is to subtract 1 hour if you are on Summer-time. Make sure that you click on 'Cancel' to close the time-zone map, otherwise you'll reset the clock on your PC! Richard