Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newton-in-Makerfield

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenny

Jenny Report 31 Mar 2005 15:49

Does anybody know if Newton-in-Makerfield, Lancashire changed it's name? What to and when? I can find the place on old maps but not new ones! Many thanks, Jenny

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 31 Mar 2005 15:55

I think it's between Newton-le-Willows and Ashton-in-Makerfield. (Unless it /is/ Newton-le-Willows)

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2005 16:30

Jenny After extensive googling, I still don't know, but it seems that Newton-in-Makerfield has become Newton-le-Willows. Maybe someone with local knowledge can provide further help. nell

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 31 Mar 2005 16:31

Where's Lou when you need her? lol

Jenny

Jenny Report 31 Mar 2005 17:13

Thank you Tracey and Nell! I felt from what I had found that makerfield became willows but have no proof whatsoever! Unless someone local can help some more I shall try not to puzzle over it (too much) anymore! Jenny (trying to sleep a dreamless sleep - without dates and trees whirling round!)

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2005 17:25

Sorry Tracy HAD to tub the rugrats! Hi Jenny Newton in Makerfield became Newton Le Willows in approx 1837. It's an urban sub district of Winwick and the registers are now split between Warrington and St Helens Hope that helps Lou

Jenny

Jenny Report 31 Mar 2005 17:38

Thanks Lou! Much appreciated and certainly helps that nagging doubt! Living in Yorkshire I appreciate the disruption of boundary changes - who thought it was clever to demolish the ridings? Chaos for the genealogist!! Thanks again, Jenny