Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name Spellings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 30 Mar 2005 11:49

Hi do you think we could start a thread for the various different name spellings we have found e.g. Looking for Kendrick found under Hendrick Rickword found as Rickward, Rickword, Ricksward, Richword to name just a few. It might help someone who has a brick wall. What do you all think? Pat

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 30 Mar 2005 12:00

Pat, I have a Fossett that became Jessett Dawn

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 30 Mar 2005 12:11

I've got Sagar under Segar, Sager, Sayer Siddle as Liddle Craven as Cravon These are all mis-transcriptions though.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 30 Mar 2005 12:13

For my Skillings, the only thing transcribers seem to get right is the 'll' in the middle. Hilling, Killings, Billings, Rilley, Shillings, Stullings. In other words, any capital with some kind of cross bar and a terminal or penultimate letter with a tail. It makes it challenging, but does provide some satisfaction when I track them down, despite the transcriber's best efforts.

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 30 Mar 2005 12:30

All these are really useful. So many of us have probably spent months looking for someone to no avail. If we can just help one person find one rellie it is worthwhile.Pat

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 30 Mar 2005 12:33

One I have is the name Bethune. Because of the Highland accent saying it as Beet Hon, it has become Beaton over the years. So lots of mine who were born as Bethune, show up later as Beatons! Christine

tinkers

tinkers Report 30 Mar 2005 12:41

i have quinn somethines i find its spelt quin keagan --- keegan--keaghan

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 30 Mar 2005 14:18

I find the Surname Thesaurus handy sometimes..... http://www.*imagepartners.*co.*uk/Thesaurus/Search.*aspx

Angie

Angie Report 30 Mar 2005 14:34

Two of my names that I have to check for different spelling's and varietions are Doresy came from** Dursey**,Dosser** and** Dorcey**. Peart can be **Peat **some mad fool dropped the R or **Pert**. Angie x

Claire

Claire Report 30 Mar 2005 15:28

I have Stevens mistranscribed as Stearns And Britten as Britton several times. Claire xx

Maggie

Maggie Report 30 Mar 2005 16:15

I have found Watkinson as Walkinson, Wadkinson, Watkins, Watson, Wilkinson and Malkinson! This wasn't on a census or anything genealogical but someone once sent me a letter addressed to Walkingtonson!! Maggie