Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to read British Origins image, please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 30 Mar 2005 11:42

Please could someone with a British Origins subscription have a look at an 1841 Census image. See below for details. Thanks.

Helen

Helen Report 30 Mar 2005 11:46

If you search on GLOUCESTERSHIRE 1841 CENSUS for WILLIAM SILVEY, Age 20, born in GLOUCESTERSHIRE , you should come up with a family in DOCKHAM. (It's ref is H0107-0379, Image 227, Folio 13, Page 20) The family headed by William Silvey Age 40 has a son aged 13 whose name I can't read at all. I have looked at loads of pages in the same handwriting for clues. It has been transcribed as NELUS, but I'm not convinced. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Helen

Maggie

Maggie Report 30 Mar 2005 14:20

Hi Helen It's recorded on the search engine as Nelus. I've been looking closely and wonder if the first letter is a V - there's no down stroke and there is one on the N in N K (not known) further down the page. I think the e and the l are certain as well as the s at the end of the name. The only other letter which is suspect is the u which could be another v. However, this makes less sense than Nelus - Velvs! I suppose Velus is an option. I hope this is useful and that you find him whatever his name is! Maggie

Helen

Helen Report 30 Mar 2005 14:31

Thanks Maggie, Helen

Helen

Helen Report 30 Mar 2005 16:25

Dea You Star! It must be Cornelius, I have an IGI record of his christening in May 1828, which would tie in with age on census. (& parents names & parish) I've been dying to make him fit in because I know that at least one Cornelius Silvey has been in Gloucester gaol & couldn't justify paying to find out why if he wasn't really related. Thanks again for your help Helen