Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice please.x

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chezzy

chezzy Report 30 Mar 2005 11:24

hiya,just had a lookup in 1901..and found my rellies had adopted an 11 yr old girl..where can i look to find out more??know they must have adopted her between 1891-1901 but they themselves are in their fifties which i thought was quite old? she was listed as a visitor in 1891 then in 1901 it states adopted daughter.any advice please?

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2005 11:42

Cherie Adoption was not legal until 1927, so this would have been an informal arrangement. I would try to find this girl's birth cert (assuming she hadn't changed her name) to see who her parents were and then find out what happened to them. Its quite likely that she was related to her adopted parents in someway, or perhaps they were friends of her family. nell

chezzy

chezzy Report 30 Mar 2005 11:47

thanks nell..didnt know that(adoption came in in the 1920's)will try the route you suggested thanks dear.xx