Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cross next to birth reg |(help) Feel silly but nee

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dee

dee Report 29 Mar 2005 23:18

I looked up a birth reg 1909 there was a cross next to it . I feel silly asking this but I have never come across it before while looking things up . But is this normal or does it mean some thing . Thank you so much for reading this . Diana

Kate

Kate Report 29 Mar 2005 23:20

Just a thought - but is it marking where an entry is missed out and has been added at the bottom of the page, with a matching cross next to it? Kate.

dee

dee Report 29 Mar 2005 23:23

HI the entry is there about half way dow and the cross is to the left of the name . Diana

Kate

Kate Report 29 Mar 2005 23:25

Yes, but is there also a handwritten entry at the bottom of the page which should go just after or before the entry you are looking at? Kate.

dee

dee Report 29 Mar 2005 23:32

Yes there are hand written notes for another at the bottom but not concerning my relation could it just be that they were suposed to put the other person before him on the list does that make sense . Diana

Kate

Kate Report 29 Mar 2005 23:35

Yes, because the cross would just mark where the handwritten entry was supposed to go alphabetically, in which case it wouldn't really signify anything about your entry. Kate.

dee

dee Report 29 Mar 2005 23:38

Thank you so much Kate for your replies you have been really helpfull now i need not worry if i come across it again thank you so very much Diana

Geoff

Geoff Report 29 Mar 2005 23:38

As Kate said there ought to be some thing written at the bottom. If it happens to say (for example) John Smith D35, it means you should look in the December quarter of 1935 to find the registration details.

dee

dee Report 29 Mar 2005 23:43

Thank you Geoff I will remember this advice if ever i come across it again . You have both taught me some thing tonight . Thank you once again diana