Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 Bomb Damage in Bemondsey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 29 Mar 2005 22:49

My grandparents were bombed out of Guinness trust flats in Snowsfield Bermondsey, by V1 or V2. I can remember the flats with two side hanging out. My Dad had a piano on the ytop floor which some kind souls retreived for him. Does anyone know if the is a paper that may have photos in their photo library of this? David

Heather

Heather Report 30 Mar 2005 07:59

David, my own mum was bombed out three times in Bermondsey during WW2 - my Gran was chief fire officer there. If you contact Southwark Archives it is very likely that they would have this sort of info. I have had lots of good stuff from them lately - including a book you may be interested in called Bermondsey and Rotherhithe remembered.

David

David Report 30 Mar 2005 08:09

THanks Heather My other gran was bombed out of flats in Manciple Street, Southwark, - Huberd House, later rebuilt. David

Ian

Ian Report 30 Mar 2005 10:07

David, You might also have a look at the 'Blitz, then and Now' published by After the Battle publications. I expect you can obtain copy from local library. It is in three volumes, and is quite comprehensive. Ian

David

David Report 30 Mar 2005 10:46

Thanks All I tried the Google search without success, I'm afraid. Try the other suggestions later. David