Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Society of the Golden Cord ? Help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 29 Mar 2005 20:24

Hi, Can anyone help with any information about this organisation. One of the very few documents I have (kept safe by my mother in the family bible), is a card recording that her brother, aged 5 years, had become a member of the society. The card is headed Society of the Golden Cord - in connection with the Christian Million and is dated March 1897. I am guessing it is about an enrolment in a Sunday School or somthing similar. But I've never heard of them. Google didn't find anything either. I posted this earlier today, but no-one answered. So I've put it on again in case the evening shift has any ideas. Thanks in advance, Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 29 Mar 2005 20:39

Thanks Dea, I've tried Google and get lots of sites connected to music - musical instrumens of the Ukrain, something about animals and a meditation tool - nothing that seems to connect to a Sunday school. I'll try the Baptist connection. Cheryl

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 29 Mar 2005 20:44

I don't know whether this is linked but I saw some old photos from a relation of mine and it was a group of children, all wearing white ribbons in their hair. It was a Church group and I believe they were Baptist. It was linked to the Rechabites who were totally against drink and the evils of it. Perhaps your card is something linked to these groups. I would contact the Church and ask for advise. Jan

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 29 Mar 2005 22:56

Thanks Jan and Teresa for your help and for the poem. Jan, The bit you found about the evils of drink might well be a connection. My Mum used to speak about the family being part of the Salvation Army - also against drink. Her brother Alfie was 11 years older than her, so perhaps the Salvation Army was not in the area when he was 5 and the Golden Cord was all that was available them. Thanks again for your suggestions. Cheryl