Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

smallthorne ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 29 Mar 2005 13:17

Does any one know where Smallthorne is ? I have been looking for the name Calashaw on and of for about four years, yesterday I thought I would do one more google search and I came up with some chess club data and on it there was a Mr D Calashaw. Having never come across the name except on my grt grandfathers marriage cert i was wondering if it was real or a misspelling of somthing else. If I could find out where Smallthorne was perhaps i could look in the library to see if there are any Calashaws in the phone book for that area. Any help would be apreciated. lesley

Lesley

Lesley Report 29 Mar 2005 13:29

Thank you both . lesley

The Bag

The Bag Report 29 Mar 2005 13:37

just out of interest - there are no Calashaw's on 1901 census at all! 2 CaLLashaw's both stepchildren in Rochdale! Jess

Lesley

Lesley Report 30 Mar 2005 14:42

thankyou all very much for that info i will go and do some more digging.

Hilary645633

Hilary645633 Report 30 Mar 2005 21:49

Looking at Ancestry and Lancashirebmd I suspect that the entry there is a mistranscription of Callaghan, which would fit with the marriage of William Thompson to a Mary Callaghan once Ryan. Another suggestion for the surname could be Culshaw. Sorry I can't be more help. Hilary