Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help wanted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frances

Frances Report 29 Mar 2005 10:27

can someone please tell me the best way to find information on one of my relatives i seem to have drawn a blank, i am searching for someone born in the 1700s and died in 1807,which would be the best way to find out where he was born, or perhaps finding his father. hoping someone can help. thanks Frances

Sandra

Sandra Report 29 Mar 2005 10:33

hi you will need to look at parish records for anything pre 1837 you can by some records on micro fiche or cd either from the record office its in or a genealogical supplier. or you can order it for a small fee to look at in an LDS centre or join a family history society for that area, they have records online sometimes and people that do lookups hope this helps sandra

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Mar 2005 10:35

Did he leave a will? Sometimes you can plot alot of family from them. eg, I leave to Thomas, son of my brother Richard etc. and it helps you to look back in parish records to find someone of the name of the deceased having a brother Richard. Sometimes marriage banns or a licence will give some details of birthplace, occupation or parent.

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Mar 2005 10:35

Frances Has this person got a name and how did you find out when they died? Have you looked on www.familysearch.org? Births before 1837 aren't usually recorded, although a birthdate may be written in the baptism record. You would need to check the parish baptism registers of the period, but if you don't know the name of the parish and/or can't get to the relevant records office easily, its possible that the local family history society has a surname index or parish transcripts which they will search for you online or by post for a few £. nell