Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INTERNET WHIZZ KIDS HELP PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 28 Mar 2005 13:24

I am currently getting upwards of 6 of those scam mails a day on my outlook express mail box. The 'we have details of a legacy' or 'help me get my dead husbands money out of Nigeria' sort. I just delete them at the mo, but is there anyway on OE that I can just stop them actually reaching my mail box because they are so annoying. Does anyone really believe that guff and reply?????

Linen

Linen Report 28 Mar 2005 13:31

Hi Heather Whatever you do don't reply! Just keep deleting. Sorry I can't help with how to stop them, my ISP does that for me. Vivienne

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Mar 2005 13:32

If you got to the 'help' but on your mail program and type in 'spam' it should give you details on how to ensure your email filter is doing what it should. For future reference, if you register for stuff online/complete online enquiry forms etc, use a hot mail address or similar wherever possible - I only ever get junk mail to my hot mail address, and if it gets too unmanageable it's alot easier to get rid of the account and set up a new one.

Joy

Joy Report 28 Mar 2005 13:33

the ISP should prevent them. Delete them and report them to the ISP. Joy

Heather

Heather Report 28 Mar 2005 13:51

Thanks guys, it drives me mad! Ive emailed wanadoo about it.

Jenny

Jenny Report 28 Mar 2005 14:47

Hi Heather, Wanadoo should sort this out. In the meantime you can block these emails in two ways. When in outlook express with the offending message highlighted go to the 'message' drop down menu (along the top of OE). Here you have the option to block sender simply by clicking that option, or to create rule from message. This option gives you the choice whether to download from the server or not - this should in theory leave them in your account on the wanadoo site. Hope this helps you to ignore these nasties. Jenny

Heather

Heather Report 28 Mar 2005 15:06

Many thanks Jenny - I had done the block messages thingy but there are so many of them that new ones appear every day plus I still have to delete the blocked ones - its so annoying. I just had a mail from wanadoo who says I can either change my addy - great - or try downloading Mailwasher which shows you what mails you have before they reach the box and gives you the option of bouncing back ones you dont want, giving the impression your addy is closed. Well, Ive downloaded the free version of Mailwasher now and will let you all know if it works.