Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

World War 1 Soldier - Missing presumed dead

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nigel

Nigel Report 28 Mar 2005 11:54

I have a relative who fought in the First World War but never returned. My Grand aunt thinks his body was never found and that might explain why his name does not appear on the Commonwealth War Graves website. I am wondering how I would go about finding information on him, like where he fought, what was his rank and when did he go missing etc. I would be grateful for any help on this. Thanks, Nigel

Paul

Paul Report 28 Mar 2005 12:33

Just because a body was never found does not mean that is why they are not on cwgc. I have a name on my wife's side who is on cwgc. He is listed as killed in 1918, yet he died in 1943. Mistakes do happen, and corrections are being made all the time through people like us who find details from different sources. Have you tried looking for a medal card on the National Archives? Do you know which Regiment they served with? Paul

Nigel

Nigel Report 28 Mar 2005 12:38

Hi Paul, Thanks for your help. I have not looked for a medal card on the National Archives and I do not know his regiment. My aunt only remembers seeing a picture of her uncle when she was a kid and being told he died in WW1. Do I need a regiment to find a medal card or is a name enough? I'll give it a try. Thanks, Nigel

Nigel

Nigel Report 28 Mar 2005 12:50

Hi Teresa, Hope someone can help you, at least mine was of age so should be under his proper name. I just searched the medal cards on the National Archives site and as the name was rare it only had 6 possible results, but at 3.50 to view each one it could cost a far bit. Do you know what the dates relate to? Are they they years they served? Or just the period that the records cover? Also what kind of info will be on the card if I view it? Thanks, Nigel

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Mar 2005 13:37

Nigel - they would all be on the same record card for the £3.50 - so it could be worth the risk

Nigel

Nigel Report 28 Mar 2005 18:28

Hi Sheila, Thanks for that info. I think I may give it a go then as one of them should be mine. Cheers, Nigel

Helen

Helen Report 28 Mar 2005 18:51

Nigel I have had help from people on www.1914-1918.net, it's worth posting a message. There is a CD available of soldiers who died in the Great War (SDGW) , I think it costs £185! but kind people on that forum will look up for you. Hope this helps. Helen

Peter

Peter Report 28 Mar 2005 19:08

There is one reson why a soldier could of died in WW1 but not had his name put in CWGC and that is he was Shot by his own side, In WW1 dozens of our men were executed for resons that today would see them in Hospitel. Shell Shock was the most common reson but there were other more stupid resons as well. Only 1% of executions were valid but even today most are still on the record books. Even Boys as young as 16/17 were shot age was no excuses.

Nigel

Nigel Report 28 Mar 2005 19:46

Hi Helen, Thanks for the info on that website. I will give it a go and post a message asking for some help. Hi Teresa, I do have the addresses for the National Archives and CWGC. I think I will download the 6 that have the same name as my relative as I believe they will all be on the same card so I will only need to pay once. Hi Peter, I had never thought that he might of been executed by his own side! I have heard about this kind of thing happening at that time but it didn't click with me that they would not be buried in a War Grave. Thank you all for your help. Cheers, Nigel

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 28 Mar 2005 23:13

If you do not know the regiment but do have his service number it is possible to get service record from attestation until ..... from the Ministry of Defence. The National Army Museum also has a research section. For people with rellies who served in WW2 apart from the cwgc there is also the Army Roll of Honour at the National Archives.