Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registering a death in the 1980's question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Mar 2005 11:15

When you registered a death do you have to take the birth or marriage certificate along, as proof of that person sandra

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Mar 2005 11:20

I registered my mothers death 2 years ago and only had to take the medical death certificate from the hospital where she died. Kath. x

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Mar 2005 11:21

THANKYOU

Aileen

Aileen Report 28 Mar 2005 11:28

It certainly wasn't necessary in 1990 to produce a birth certificate when registering a death.(I know you specially mentioned the 80s though) All you needed was a signed proof of death by the doctor who witnessed it and then you took that to the registrar who made out the official certificate. Aileen

Linen

Linen Report 28 Mar 2005 11:48

Hi Sandra My Father died in 1987 & I only needed the doctors certificate to register his death. Vivienne

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Mar 2005 11:58

If my uncle had taken my grandfather's birth cert along when he registered the death, then both his date and place of birth would have been correct! Bear in mind that the person informing the death may not know about where birth and death certs are and when you register a death, you want to do it asap, and not spend ages looking through family papers for documents that may not be there. This is why so many death certs contain errors. No doubt in the future when you register a death the registrar will be able to bring up earlier certs online. In fact I think the new proposals are that you will be able to register some events by phone or online. nell