Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help required, only know grandfather's details?!?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjy_Bumble

Benjy_Bumble Report 27 Mar 2005 17:08

I'm researching for a friend where his family originate from, he only knows his grandfather's name as John Pallas, 1930 (give or take 5 years), born in Sunderland and lived there all his life. His middle name could possibly be Bell, assuming a mother's or grandmother's maiden name here?!?! How do I get further back using the Internet? Much appreciated, Gary Pallas.

Paul

Paul Report 27 Mar 2005 17:12

try going to 1837online.com and looking for his birth certificate...and the marriage certificate....this sounds like my paul, all he had was his mums birth date and through that we found the rest of the family...1837 is a pay per view site.

Benjy_Bumble

Benjy_Bumble Report 27 Mar 2005 17:16

Unfortunately I am not subscribed to 1837online.com Thanks for replying though, all the best, Gary Pallas.

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Mar 2005 17:19

ben 1837 is a pay per view of the indexes to buy a certificate, or you can look at gro ref indexes in a local record office for free, as soon as your back to the 1901 census you can then work backwards, but you will need the birth and marriage cert 1st for the names hope this helps sandra