Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Mar 2005 14:01

Does anyone have a good idea whether on cd or by just writing, to put down all the information in some sort of order when doing a tree.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Mar 2005 14:08

Family Tree Maker 2005 is very good. Takes a while to put the information you already have onto it initially, but is then very quick to add subsequent information as you find it. Or you could just use a separate page of a word document for each person to write in anything you find. Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Mar 2005 14:11

Thanks Kathleen, I haven't been doing this long but seem to have got a long way. Started with sheets of paper for each one but things seem to have got a bit out of hand. Should have had a good system from the beginning. Gloria

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Mar 2005 14:17

I know what you mean Gloria. I've only been doing this for two years, and I now have most things on Family Tree Maker 2005, but I still can't bear the thought of throwing out any of my piles of paper. It is taking over the house!!! Kath. x

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Mar 2005 14:27

I use PAF5 downloaded from the familysearch.org site - I love it 'cos it has tons of space for notes etc, and I can print out pages for individuals as well as whole families. I also use spreadsheets as well, to keep track of information I am looking for. I have one which lists direct descendants, and I tick off when I've received a birth/marriage/dearth cert, and whether I've found them on each census. All certs and census prints etc I keep in folders, and I have piles of bits of paper with scribbles on that aren't specific enough to go on file, but help me work out where I need to look next. Its all down to personal choice and what you find easiest.

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 27 Mar 2005 16:48

The LDS PAF tree is good but have you also tried Tribalpages.com plenty of space for notes, pics and you are able to search for others with same names.

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Mar 2005 17:09

Were you aware that with the LDS PAF you can highlight any name in your tree and search the LDS records for a match? Sounds similar to the tribalpages you mention. There are a ton of good programs out there, its a case of finding the one that suits best.

Helen

Helen Report 27 Mar 2005 17:54

Just thought I'd mention that the PAF (Personal Ancestry File?) software is FREE to download from the LDS familysearch site. It's good basic software for anyone just starting their tree and you can always purchase one of the other programs once you need something more advanced. Most of the others seem to cost £20-£60. Two years on with this hobby and I still use PAF.