Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Making the best of the new board? Also any new inf

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 27 Mar 2005 12:39

Hello everyone, I am back on the site after 3 months though I have kept an eye on my messages by going into various internet cafes. The board has changed considerably and would value helpfull hints on how best to explore it. ie the new search census facility- do you have to pay £7 up front? Do people prefere the new formate or is it a pain. I am struggling to find my shared trees!! Also the text message bit, what does that mean?? Thanks chaps Jeanie

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 27 Mar 2005 12:46

on the left hand side scroll down abit you will see shared trees just click on that Jeanette

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 30 Mar 2005 14:52

Would welcome some response to my queries. Have just noticed that the 1861 is now available on 1837. Is there any other info like this? ie new stuff since Jan. many thanks.

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 30 Mar 2005 15:30

Thanks Tracy, I have become so rusty after my break that I need all help poss, Thanks again

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2005 16:23

Hi Jeanie Welcome back! Yep, the 1861 is now on 1837online for London, Middlesex, Essex, Surrey and Kent, there are other counties 'coming soon'. It's just as prone to mistranscriptions as the ancestry census but the name index facility is quite good. Gives you the option of finding the people you are looking for, clicking on household transcript and that gives you an address. If, like me, you can't buy credits for 1837online, it then gives you an address to be able to ask for a look up on the Records Board. British Origins also now has the Bristol/Gloucestershire, Devon and Cambridgeshire 1841 census online and there are a couple of people on the boards who subscribe and have been offering look ups. Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2005 16:26

Oooh and there's a new site www.familyrelatives.org Similar to 1837online although only fully transcribed 1866-1920 at the moment. I personally find it easier and cheaper to use than 1837online but some people have had major problems with it not letting them in to their account etc so I think its trial and error Lou

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 31 Mar 2005 10:42

Many many thanks Lou.