Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help finding place please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Mar 2005 12:05

Have found a 1901 census image, but not sure of birthplace - what it looks like does not exist - if that makes sense! Will add details below ....

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Mar 2005 12:09

Head of household is Philip A S Maitland age 30 born West Ham, Essex The problem is the birthplace of his wife Alice and their visitor Ellen Bell. Transcription shows East Donyland, Essex and the image looks like that too! BUT I can't find any trace of such a place, or anything similar. Really cross as I am usually quite good at reading old writing! If any bright spark can help I would be sooooo grateful! Thanks, Maz. XX

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 27 Mar 2005 12:12

Hi Maz, had a look and it certainly looks like that. Tried googling it and there's lots of mentions of it! Christine

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Mar 2005 12:15

Hi Maz. It's in Colchester, essex Linda

Stephen

Stephen Report 27 Mar 2005 12:26

Maz if you do a google search for map east donyland, it comes up with British History Online go there and theres lots of info for you.Steve.

Gemma

Gemma Report 27 Mar 2005 12:31

Hi maz I have just looked through my Harmsworth atlas 1906, but there is no mention of anything resembling this place. I got the magnafying glass out but still no luck. Checked all names starting with East - but the only one in Essex was East Mersea. There was an East Clandon in Surrey, but this is probably not it either. There are only Dedham and Donbury in Essex that I could find So sorry not to be of more help

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Mar 2005 12:32

Blimey!!!! Thanks you lot - how simple when you think about it! Was looking in my Road Atlas, which usually serves me so well! Will go and look on-line now though. hmmmm if its near Wivenhoe then that could link into another BIG puzzle we have had for some time!!!! Dunno if my brain can cope with this lol!! Thanks again! Maz. XX

Shirley

Shirley Report 27 Mar 2005 12:44

hi i have mailed you direct. shirley

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Mar 2005 12:54

thanks Shirley, have replied Maz. XX

BABZ...

BABZ... Report 27 Mar 2005 13:24

Don't know if you already got this Maz... Lexden Created 1st July 1837. Sub-districts : Denham; Fordham; Peldon; Stanway; Wivenhoe. GRO volumes : XII (1837-51); 4a (1852-1930). Abberton, Aldham, Birch , Boxted, Brightlingsea (1837-80), Chappel, Copford, Dedham, [[[East Donyland, ]]]East Mersea, Easthorpe, Fingringhoe, Fordham, Great Horkesley, Great Tey, Great Wigborough, Inworth (from 1880), Langenhoe, Langham, Layer Breton, Layer de la Haye, Layer Marney, Little Horkesley, Little Tey, Little Wigborough, Marks Tey, Messing (from 1880), Mount Bures, Peldon, Salcot, Stanway, Virley, Wakes Colne, West Bergholt, West Mersea, Wivenhoe, Wormingford. Registers now in Colchester district. ...Babz

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Mar 2005 14:22

thanks Babz! Maz. XX