Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is a 'nurse child£

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 26 Mar 2005 22:04

I found an entry for Elizabeth Gillard 'nurse child' in the return for my great, great grandparents in 1882. By 1891 they referred to, presumably, the same child using their own surname of Skinner and called her a daughter. I'm assuming at this point she was a foster child, they later adopted. But was a nurse child actually a foster child ? Jenny

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 26 Mar 2005 22:08

I remember reading other threads on the site and apparently it was like a foster child. Alice

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 26 Mar 2005 22:09

i think so

Louise

Louise Report 26 Mar 2005 22:09

Yes. I had one of these in my tree and kind folk on here explained that a nurse child was a foster child. Louise

Allie

Allie Report 26 Mar 2005 22:35

Just a quick question... is this the same as a nursling?? Alliex

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 26 Mar 2005 22:41

Allie No, I don't think it was originally the same thing, but may have come to mean the same thing! A 'nursling' was, originally, a child who was put out to be breast-fed by another woman - perhaps where the mother had died in childbirth, or being a grand lady, didnt want to do it herself! Marjorie

Allie

Allie Report 26 Mar 2005 22:43

Thanks Marjorie:-) Still not sure if this helps at the moment but at least I know there is a difference Thank you Allie x