Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Navy Update

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 26 Mar 2005 17:25

I received FULL SERVICE DOCUMENTS,Which are Joining Date,Leaving Date,Nothing in beteen,and that WAR GRATUITY was paid.Not a lot for £30. Bob

Mandy

Mandy Report 26 Mar 2005 17:41

Hi Robert Glad you told us! I'm saving up to send for Navy Records of my Grandad & Great Grandad but if it doesn't mention medals, promotions and ships I don't see that I can justify paying out that much for so little information. Think I'll just go for the medals and then look the report up in the London Times. Thanks, I can afford some BDM certificates now! Mandy

Janet

Janet Report 27 Mar 2005 11:40

I would say that this is not my own experience of the Royal Navy Records which I obtained through MOD Hayes and Gosport in 1999. I paid £25 in 1999 and obtained details of all ships my father served from 1922 onwards, place and date of birth and where signed up as well as his occupation on signing up and all his promotions and which years he was promoted. I also obtained details of his medal entitlement. Whereas the record was incomplete in that I did not get his last year in service, it did give me a lot of info. As he joined the Navy in 1919 I was able to visit TNA at Kew to get all his navy records from 1919 to 1922. Janet

tinkers

tinkers Report 27 Mar 2005 11:51

TALKING OF THE NAVY LOL IS THERE A WEB SITE WHERE U CAN LOOK AT THE DETAILS OF WHO IS WHO IN THE NAVY LOL

Robert

Robert Report 27 Mar 2005 12:56

Hi Janet, What you got ,is what i was expecting to get. Bob

Jane

Jane Report 27 Mar 2005 13:00

I don't know where to start looking first, My grandad's Dad was in the Royal navy between 1914-1918 we don't know is navy no.He was ERA and serverd on HMS Canopus during the first world war,Dardanelles and Falklands.Where would we start, please help.

Janet

Janet Report 27 Mar 2005 14:56

Royal Navy Records are reasonably easy to find at TNA Kew pre 1922. There is a book where you search for Name of person and that gives you a number which you then order up on the computer to obtain a look at the original Ledgers. This can fall down if the number you obtain does not match the number in the original ledger as happened in my own father's case and then you are in trouble as no one at TNA can help should this unfortuante occurrence happen. After 1922 it is a question of applying to MOD Gosport for records, as post 1922 all records are with MOD and will be released to the public when they are ready to release them and not before! Download leaflet on the Navy from the TNA site. www(.)nationalarchives(.)gov(.)uk remove brackets Janet

Keith

Keith Report 27 Mar 2005 22:20

Something wrong there. Ask for an explanation. Regards Keith