Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coachman, what did they do?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 26 Mar 2005 14:41

Hi, I have an ancestor on my husband's side that drove a coach and four horses, he wore a uniform and a top hat. Any suggestions as to his actual job. Could the coach have been a hearse? Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks Lesley

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Mar 2005 14:44

If you have a photo and the horses and coach are black, I guess that would be a hearse. But he could have just been a coachman for hire. Nearly everyone wore hats years ago as it was a good way to keep warm (they didn't have Thinsulate or other fancy materials then). Coaches were the public transport of the day. Maybe he was a coachman for a grand family, in which case they would probably have their livery on the coach. Have you found him on a census or certs? nell

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Mar 2005 14:47

I imagine he could have had any one of several jobs. Coachman for someone with a large estate. Coachman for the post office Coachman who was similar to our bus drivers. Not really sure. Kath. x

Nanny Pat

Nanny Pat Report 26 Mar 2005 14:48

A Taxi Cab

Lesley

Lesley Report 26 Mar 2005 20:14

Thanks folks for your replies. I don't have a photo unfortunately, this comes from memories of a conversation someone had with their grandmother. I don't know if this will help pin it down but on the 1881 (I think) census he was living in Dutton Street school and was described as a coachman. Thanks for your interest Lesley

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 26 Mar 2005 20:18

I have a rellie who was ra coachman in 1891. He worked lived in a cottage in the grounds of Hoveton Hall Norfolk, so I presumed he drove for the residents of the house. Alice

Lesley

Lesley Report 26 Mar 2005 20:59

Hello again, I have just reviewed my records and my ancestor was a DistilleryRacker in 1881 and by 1891 had become a Coachman, thus is it safe to assume he drove a brewers dray? Lesley

Geoff

Geoff Report 26 Mar 2005 21:05

Quite unsafe I would think. I would imagine that being a Racker was an inside job. A dray is not a coach.

Trish

Trish Report 27 Mar 2005 02:47

Hi Lesley I also have an ancestor who was a coachman. This is the information I have on his working life. My Great, Great Grandfather was listed as a coachman on the 1881 census and a coachman groom on the 1891. In the newspaper article written when he died it said........... Last of London's Postboys. Feb 6 1916. The funeral takes place today of W. T. Reading who died age 83 in Deptford. He was one of the oldest Postillions in England. He practically lived among horses all his life. At the age of 14 he became leader boy in the 'good old posting days'. A few year later he was appointed postillion to the Duke of Norfolk when he drove among other the Duchess of Cambridge and the late Duchess of Teck, mother of Queen Mary. Afterwards he entered the service of Lord & Lady Manners in a simular postion. Description of Postillion on old occupations websites are: Attacher of horses to wagons and coaches to help them up hills. and Rode as a guide on one of the near pairs of horses drawing a coach or post chaise. I do know he wore top hat and tails for his work. I don't know if this will be any help to you, it is just one description of someone who listed his occuaption as coachman on census returns. Regards, Trish

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 Mar 2005 11:14

Hello Trish, THanks for that, I find all this fascinating - not only tracing ancestors but putting the pieces of their lives together. It sounds as though he could have been a postillion. Thanks again to you and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. Lesley

Jan

Jan Report 27 Mar 2005 12:20

Probably a taxi cab because one of my ex-husband rellies was a coachman and later owned a Mews and several horse drawn hackney carriages. Jan