Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Spalding, please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 26 Mar 2005 03:14

Hello! I'm a newby trying search out my Neal ancestors from Spalding, Linc. and am not sure how to proceed next. I'm trying to find the wife of my ggggrandfather, Benjamin Neal. There is no wife listed in any of the censuses post 1841. The 1841 census has a woman about 20 years his junior who could be a very young wife or a very old daughter... in any case she would have been too young to be the mother of my gggrandfather. (And his birth was pre-1837) I think I have found correct death certificates in the register...but would they tell me anything about a wife or a mother? Not sure how to access parish records when I haven't a clue what parishes are in Spalding. It's a bit tricky searching from overseas. Would appreciate any general advice.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 26 Mar 2005 08:12

Hi, had a look at your message because Spalding is not too far from me. Couldn't personally help with any of the information you are after but did find this page on GENUKI: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Spalding/ Hope it helps Sylvia

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Mar 2005 08:12

This link tells you where all of the parish records are for Spalding, it says they will search for a small fee www*sog*org.uk/prc/lincolnshire*html#S Replace the * with a dot Also if you don't know about it this is the GENUKI page for Lincolnshire. there is all sorts of info on here www.genuki*org*uk/big/eng/LIN/ Again after you copy and paste the link into your browser, replace the * with . (dot) Linda

Geoff

Geoff Report 26 Mar 2005 09:00

In fact the disparity in ages in 1841 is greater than you said - 60 and 30. I would say that Hannah was his wife as she was born 'out of county' while his children weren't. I thought I was on to something when I found the 1836 Spalding marriage on IGI (convenient for the birth of 5yo Rachael in 1841), but that was to a Mary. I'll see if I can find them on 1851 census.

Geoff

Geoff Report 26 Mar 2005 09:12

1851 2096/404 Monks House, Bourn Rd, Spalding Benjamin (wid) 62 Farmer of 130 acres emp 2 labs, Deeping St James Sarah (dau) 26 Pinchbeck Isaac 24 Carpenter and Joiner, Pinchbeck Ann 20 Pinchbeck Rachael 14 Spalding plus 2 servants This seems helpful on the name of his first wife. WILLIAM NEIL Male Event(s): Birth: Christening: 23 JUL 1815 Pinchbeck, Lincoln, England Parents: Father: BENJN. NEIL Family Mother: MARY Batch C030991

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 26 Mar 2005 18:32

Thanks to all of you....will continue to visit this to see if someone else has any other info...andI'll check out the websites offered.