Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What./where else can I try?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 25 Mar 2005 08:33

I am trying to find the birth or marriage for my ggg Grandparents - more specifically my ggg grandfather (I have her birth cert on order) but have now been going round in circles for weeks. His name is THOMS BUTLIN on the 1871,1881 and1891 census, living in Rothwell and shown as Ag. Labourer or Iron Miner. Her name is ELIZA STURMAN. Their oldest son David was born 1867 and my gggrandmother Mary Ann born 1868. All entries show his birthplace as ROTHWELL, NORTHANTS, but I can't find him anywhere - have tried BMD, LDS and 1837online - does anyone have any suggestions, or can anyone else find him for me please!!!! Slowly going mad on Good Friday - Trudy!!

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 25 Mar 2005 08:48

This could be your Thomas on 1841 NORTH SIDE OF FOX'S LANE ROTHWELL ROTHWELL PARISH WILLIAM BUTLIN 35 AGRICULTURAL LABOURER Y NORTH SIDE OF FOX'S LANE ROTHWELL ROTHWELL PARISH SARAH BUTLIN 30 Y NORTH SIDE OF FOX'S LANE ROTHWELL ROTHWELL PARISH ANN BUTLIN 12 Y NORTH SIDE OF FOX'S LANE ROTHWELL ROTHWELL PARISH SARAH BUTLIN 10 Y NORTH SIDE OF FOX'S LANE ROTHWELL ROTHWELL PARISH WILLIAM BUTLIN 8 Y NORTH SIDE OF FOX'S LANE ROTHWELL ROTHWELL PARISH MARTHA BUTLIN 2 Y NORTH SIDE OF FOX'S LANE ROTHWELL ROTHWELL PARISH THOMAS BUTLIN 6 M Y Beth :)

Sandra

Sandra Report 25 Mar 2005 08:59

Birth refs that cover rothwell thomas butlin jun q 1846 kettering 15 300

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 25 Mar 2005 09:02

Might well be your man on the 1841, the Butlin's were living in Foxes Lane, Rothwell on the 1881 too.

Sandra

Sandra Report 25 Mar 2005 09:09

if the birth was before 1837 you will have to look for a baptism in the parish records for that area, you may also find the marriage in the parish records sandra

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 25 Mar 2005 10:13

If you can't find him on 1837 it could be mistranscribed or omitted, so your next step would be to write a very nice letter to Kettering registrars giving them the info you have and see if they can find him. Hopefully they will find Thomas from the 1841 who must have been born in the latter part of 1840 and no others. It is possible that his parents omitted to register him but unlikely. Beth :)

Trudy

Trudy Report 26 Mar 2005 17:12

Thanks Elizabeth, Sandra and Chloe - this could very well be them, will have to keep digging. Think I might have found the marriage ref on BMD, but when you click into it there is only one name on the page, does anyone know if there is anywhere that you can ask for a page of the register on line rather than a named entry? Trudy