Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know about........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Mar 2005 18:33

Love Bricks????? See below........

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Mar 2005 18:34

My husband has a carved brick, which has been in his possession since he was about 10 or 11 (he swapped it for a catapult….LOL). The boy he swapped it with had dug it up on a local common. Since I became interested in Genealogy I have spent a lot of time looking at it and wondering about its history. I would love to find out more about it. We believe it is a called a “Love Brick” and was presumably carved by an apprentice brick maker for his sweetheart. It is hollowed out and has poetry, initials and hearts carved into it, plus it is also signed and dated (1673). Does anyone out there know anything about this or have any ideas how I could find out more? I have tried googling with no success. Wendy x

Sandra

Sandra Report 24 Mar 2005 18:37

I haven't a clue but it sounds wonderful, have you tried googling love tokens sandra

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Mar 2005 18:42

Thanks, I will give both suggestions a try. Wendy x

Peter

Peter Report 24 Mar 2005 18:44

Tokens of love were very common in the middle ages and things like spoons, cups and coines were offten used as a token of love so a Brick would be as good as any thing eles. Your best line of research I would think is to find who made Bricks in the area of were it was found and see if you can get a line on who might of worked there.

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 24 Mar 2005 19:43

Hi Wendy, it sounds wonderful, can you let us know when you find out about it? Kirsty x

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Mar 2005 19:47

Thanks everyone. I have tried googling, but not come up with much so far. I have just remembered (duh) that we have a local museum not far away, so I will try and take it there and get an opinion. I will let you know if I find anything out about it. Wendy x

Heather

Heather Report 24 Mar 2005 20:42

What a fantastic find, and what a romantic your husband must be - giving up a catapult for it! I guess you must be new a brickyard then? Why not see if there is a company on google that would have been the original source of the brick and ask if they have any knowledge of them.