Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help reading census image please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 23 Mar 2005 22:05

1871 census RG10/1710 folio 135 pg 5 Wimbish in Essex Name John Chapman aged 63 with wife Ann and family. Is the address The Green Bear House or Beer House and what is the occupation of John. on 1861 he is Bar house Keeper, in 1881 Ann is the head and is a beerseller and in 1891 daughter Mary Ann has taken over as Beerseller. First bit looks like coal but beats me. Any help appreciated Dawn

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Mar 2005 22:16

he is a coal carter and beer retailer

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Mar 2005 22:18

Dawn The address says The Green Beer House. I think it means 'beer house' as in this is what the place is, rather than the name of the house if you see what I mean, and that it is on The Green. Occupation is coal carter/beer retailer. nell

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 23 Mar 2005 22:19

Thank you both, what a busy man he was. Dawn

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 23 Mar 2005 22:20

Greeting's Dawn... It looks like..... The Green Bear House Occupation for John Coal Carter / retailer. MIKE. Sorry just amended it to House from Inn used the magnify tool

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 23 Mar 2005 22:24

Thanks Mike now just have to see if its still around Dawn