Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not sure if i'm on the right board..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 23 Mar 2005 06:38

Morning all I have been building my tree on here but was wondering if there was another site or software package that I could use instead. When it comes to printing this one it's a bit of a mess!!! Thanks Susan

Heather

Heather Report 23 Mar 2005 07:02

If you put something in the search box at the top of this board i.e. Family Tree Software - there have been many threads on this. Generally most of us seem to go for Family Tree 2005 which allows you to add photos, print all sorts of reports and trees, works out relationships of everyone, makes a web page for you etc. and you can save it and back it up onto a cd to update and keep safe. On sale at PC World at £19.99 at the mo I believe - half price.

Judy

Judy Report 23 Mar 2005 07:06

Hi Susan: I use several programs......Family Tree Maker, which one purchases and another free one, GENOPRO, which you can download at www.genopro(.)com - Remember to remove the ( ) from the address. I can build using one program and open the same file using the other program. Both are easy to use and they give you different types of reports including the option to add pictures, documents, etc.... The advantage of GENOPRO is that you can generate the tree into an html format....which then makes the generated report work like a website (easily done with a click of your mouse.) This html format can then be shared with others and the person you are sharing with does not need special software on their end to be able to view it. With other programs, like Family Tree Maker, the person on the receiving end either needs Family Tree Maker, too, or a family tree program on their PC in order to view the .ged you send them. Judy

Susan

Susan Report 23 Mar 2005 07:13

Thanks for replying.......will check out both suggestions. Susan