Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

50p in the meter please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 22 Mar 2005 20:34

site is soooooooo sloooooooooow, some body tell the man the meter needs topping up going faster now, somebody must hasve put £1.50p in the meter,lol

Sam

Sam Report 22 Mar 2005 20:37

I thought it was just me....so glad to know I'm not alone!

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 22 Mar 2005 21:18

I can't even upload my Gedcom on a good day lol Site is verrryyyy slllllooooowwww.....

Elaine

Elaine Report 22 Mar 2005 21:37

I thought my computer was playing up ,I've rebooted several times and was even going to defrag,but didn't want to miss anything. Glad I didn't now. Elaine

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 22 Mar 2005 22:58

Vivienne - yes, and I've mailed them a couples of times about it. They keep telling me the same thing lol I've checked it loads of times, and re-saved it loads of times too. Don't know what else to do :(

Helen

Helen Report 22 Mar 2005 23:00

Christopher So how come my very very old Pent 11 never gives me any bother with speed? I see people complaining on here every day about how slow the site is but everything happens instantly for me. My computer has been upgraded from 95 to ME but that's about it. Keep thinking it's time for a new one but I'm worried it may be a step in the wrong direction. It would be nice to have a tower I could stick in the cupboard though instead of this enormous horizontal thing on the desk! Must admit I do follow Judy's tips and have a bit of a clean up every week but I don't have problems if I forget to do it.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 23 Mar 2005 08:49

Sorry I don't get it... How does deleting cookies help to make a website run faster? If a website uses cookies (as GR does), and you have deleted the cookie, then it will simply download a new cookie in place of the one you deleted. The only practical result of deleting your GR cookie will be that you'll need to re-enter your username & password again the next time that you access the site. How does deleting temporary internet files help? All the little graphics on this page, such as the GR logo and the 'Census records man' logo are stored in your temporary internet files folder. If you clean this out, then next time that you log on to the site, it will have to download them all again - into your temporary internet files folder! How would a faster CPU, a bigger hard-drive, defragging your hard drive etc help? Any processing (eg. of Gedcom files) is done on the GR server, not on your local PC. Your hard-drive is irrelevant unless you are actually writing files to it. There are only two possible causes for poor speed performance - (1) your internet connection or (2) the capacity of the GR server to deal with the multiple requests coming in. So, check your connection speed and if possible upgrade to Broadband or at least to a 56K dial-up modem. Can't do much about the GR servers, other than lobby them to upgrade their servers to keep up with the demand that this site generates. Richard

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Mar 2005 11:04

Looks like they've fed the hamsters that power the wheel .....