Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837online census error corrected

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Mar 2005 17:48

I found that two of my relatives had the wrong birthplace transcribed on the 1861 census. I e-mailed 1837online about it yesterday and today I got reply saying they had changed the transcription and had given me 3 extra credits. shame they didn't do this with the 1901 government online service - I'd be nearly rich! nell

Ann ♣

Ann ♣ Report 22 Mar 2005 18:08

Hi Nell Im glad they sorted it for you. Do you thinks its possible that a birth place could be wrong on 1837? Its a typed page not the original,your view would be appreciated. Ann ps its the births pages not the census

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 22 Mar 2005 18:44

Hi Nell You were lucky as I had a similar problem the whole year was out I was looking for each quarter of 1886 and after using nearly all my credits I realized they had shown 1866, sent them an e-mail and they admitted they had it wrong and was sorry. I didn't get any credits for what I lost :-( Jill

Rachel

Rachel Report 23 Mar 2005 13:14

Hiya I think Nell is referring to the new 1861 census that's available on the 1837 online site, NOT the birth records pages. I would think places of birth (registration) on the births lists are correct. I bloody hope so anyway! But yes, census' always have mistranscription problems. Good that they listened to you though Nell, and got it corrected.

Karen

Karen Report 27 Mar 2005 05:12

Rachel, i totally agree with you, I had to read it twice too... yes the civil registration should be correct (if the ancestors registered correct i mean!) the 1861 census will be prone to errors coz others transcribed it HOWEVER we can access the original page cant we???

Irene

Irene Report 27 Mar 2005 07:52

There are mistakes on 1837(.)(com) as we all know but they will change it if found and proved as I know. Its a bit hard to alter 1837.com but it can be done, they said that they had made a note that the book was to be altered next time it went in for repairs i.e pages get worn with everyone looking in the books. In my case it was the page numbers that were wrong but it was the right couple, As to the census being wrong, thats great they are changing it as they go. They are at least doing it a bit better than 1901 I know its a wait for the county we want but at least it being done and hopefully a bit better than 1901. No crashes so far, that will prove something to them. With luck they will start the 1911 this way as well so it will be ready a lot quicker than the 1901. Irene

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Mar 2005 09:35

Irene I think it will require more than luck - ie determination and time and MONEY. The other snag about censuses is that if the error is on the census itself then it can't be corrected. I am still annoyed with a chap who I think is first cousin to my great-grandfather, who has put himself and his family down on the 1891 with just their initials! Gggrr! nell