Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please-newly installed FTM 2005, where have I

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenny

Jenny Report 22 Mar 2005 14:27

I've successfully entered all my individuals - great. I can see the time line, descendant trees etc-but- When I try to do a descendant of my gggrandfather, my grandfather, & only he is not there. Therefore neither am I or my desendants. If I do a descendant line from my grandfather- it just shows he & his wife!!! If I start with my father or myself it all goes down OK. I have double checked the connections, as far as I can see they are all there. Can someone suggest a solution please? Jenny

Brenda

Brenda Report 22 Mar 2005 14:41

Jenny - I don't use this version, but I wonder if there's a way of specifying on each type of tree how many generations you want it to show you? FTM have online help on their website at www(.)familytreemaker(.)com - look on the right hand side under 'Family Tree Maker Help Center'. Remove the brackets from the address. Sorry I can't help more, good luck. Brenda

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Mar 2005 14:44

I have an older version of this. Do you have a tab at the top saying 'Contents'? If so use that and you should be able to specify number of generations. It is probably set at ONE!!

Jenny

Jenny Report 22 Mar 2005 15:06

Many thanks, but the problem is that my grandfather is just not there when I ask it to do a descendants tree, even though he is if you see what I mean. On the original version i had you had to make a link between parent & child, that no longer seems to be necessary & anyway all the other relatives were added in the same way & they show up! Jenny

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Mar 2005 15:33

pretty sure its to do with the number of generations. Get the one you want to satrt from on FAMILY VIEW. Click to get a descendant tree .... right click on the tree page and fiddle around with the options ....

Jenny

Jenny Report 22 Mar 2005 16:03

Thanks everyone for suggestions, but I don't think I can have made the problem clear. However, some have suggested going to Format & Contents - both these are grayed out when I try to go to them. There is nothing that says number of generations or Achfnatel (or whatever) I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with my programme. I will try to be idiot proof in a description as I have right clicked, left clicked on anything & everthing & nothing seems to work. Jenny

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 22 Mar 2005 16:15

I had a similar problem where only one child came up on the decendants tree but the child was entered on the family record correctly. If I did the query on the mother the child showed but not on the father. I ended up using the 'people' menu and detaching the child and then reattaching her - that worked and now she comes up on the tree

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Mar 2005 16:48

FORMAT and CONTENTS are only active when you are viewing a Tree or Report. Greyed out in Family View etc. In a Tree/Report, at the very bottom of screen on rhs is a little box showing the number of generations. I'm currently looking at a descendant tree of 9 generations. I set the top generation by viewing the relevant person in Family View, then clicking the Tree button with the little pedigree icon (just to the right of the magnifying glass icon) If I now click CONTENTS, I can change the # of generations ..... I'll leave my FTM running if you want to talk me thru yours I'll try and recreate it on mine....

Lyndsay

Lyndsay Report 22 Mar 2005 17:31

I have the same version of FTM but came across a similar problem when I somehow didn't join it up correctly. If you look it might be an unattached person. Or connected to some but not to others. Have you added an extra partner or something by mistake or attached descendants to the wrong spouse? Under the people label on the menu there is a fix relationship button. Hope this might help Lyndsay

Jenny

Jenny Report 22 Mar 2005 17:48

No, you're right Dea, I've managed that now. I had wondered if I might need to disconnect & reconnect, but it sounds a bit drastic, & why is it only he who is not ther, my direct line! It's a mystery. will get back to it after dinner & will report back Many thanks all Jenny

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Mar 2005 18:21

Dea - the menu items themselves are not greyed out - but when in family view hover the cursor on them - the drop-down menu items are greyed out. Display a tree and then try it - they are nice and black !

Jenny

Jenny Report 22 Mar 2005 19:10

Hi everyone that's helped me. Wheeee! I've got there. for future reference I deleted my grandfather & then re-entered him & then did the same with my father & hey presto there were their tree of descendants all in place. Many thanks & keep up the good work Jenny