Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

quick question on Putney, help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 22 Mar 2005 09:54

Hello, just been asked by my new Ozzie cousin to investigate one of our rellies from Putney. My question is, whereabouts is Putney, I mean I know it's London but what are its neighbouring areas please? Thanks for reading. Jen

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 22 Mar 2005 09:57

Hi Jen Putney is south of the river, in the Wandsworth district: Wandsworth Created 1st July 1837. In Surrey until 1889. Sub-districts : Battersea; Clapham; East Battersea; North West Battersea; Putney; South West Battersea; Southfields; Springfield; Streatham; Wandsworth; West Battersea. GRO volumes : IV (1837-51); 1d (1852-1930). Battersea, Clapham, Putney, Streatham, Tooting Graveney, Wandsworth. Registers now divided between Wandsworth and Lambeth districts. Richard.

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 22 Mar 2005 10:00

Hi Richard, thanks very much, off to get my teeth into this now. :-)))) Jen

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 22 Mar 2005 10:18

Hi, I grew up in Putney and left there just 18 years ago. My sister continued to live there until 18 months ago, so I know Putney very well. Putney is by: Fulham, Barnes, Sheen, as well as all the places mentioned by the others. Richmond Park is the nicest park. We spent many a Sunday visiting the lovely surroundings. We also lived 2 roads up form the River. Putney will always have fond memories for me. Fi

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 22 Mar 2005 10:37

Hi again, back from fam search. Far too many possibles at this point. Thanks for the info everyone. So annoying, I have a photo of this woman kept by my grandmother but I can't find her - grrrrr. More haste, less speed. Joy - ;-) (winking) Fi - if I get any addresses I will put up a thread asking for your local knowledge if that's ok. Regards Jen

Zoe

Zoe Report 22 Mar 2005 10:46

Jen I'll be moving back to Kingston in May - so I'm about a five minute drive from putney. I you need any photos taken etc let me know and I'll make the trip zoe

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 23 Mar 2005 13:13

Hi Zoe, thanks very much for that. :-)))))) Jen