Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone familiar with 1841 census CD's?? Just bough

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 21 Mar 2005 23:10

See below

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 21 Mar 2005 23:16

I have just received the 1841 census CD for Hertfordshire. I am confused by the indexing. Its all PDF which I am normally happy with but struggling to make sense of the place index. for example if I look at the index for St Albans (Redbourn) it says Disc 5, which has St Albans printed on it. Disc 5 doesn't have St Albans and area. However the index is a page with a divided table on it and it looks like St Albans itself doesn't have a page number. On the left it says 'also found on xxxx'. I've worked out by trying discs one by one to find which one contains the pages refered to, and low and behold find the parish I'm looking for on CD 2 marked Watford?? The index for disc 2 does list villages I'm looking for in its index, seems the 'main' index is odd, or am I doing something wrong? Was going to offer look ups but as I can't work the index I wouldn't be much help!