Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question re Scottish records (Birth/Adoption)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 21 Mar 2005 20:30

This is a bit of a long winded one, so please bear with me. I'm adopted, and for many years, the only 'birth certificate' I had was a very simple document giving (adopted) name, sex and date of birth. It also gave the volume and entry number from the register, which then corresponds to my adoption certificate. If I request a birth certificate with those details, I get my 'original' certificate, if you see what I mean. Now, this is where it gets complicated. I have a half-sister who was also adopted. I have her date of birth and can get her 'original' birth certificate. Is there any way to cross-refer it back to the adoption records to find an adopted name?

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 22 Mar 2005 08:08

I havent got a clue but if you find out could you please let me know? I have an uncle out there somewhere who was adopted almost 41 years ago and I'd love to find a way of getting his adoptive name. Shaz x

The Bag

The Bag Report 22 Mar 2005 09:49

You can apply for your original birth cert as an adoptee in your birth name if you know it. If you dont You can apply for your 'file' with all the info pertaining to your adoption through the county council (adoption Dept) ideally in the county in which you were born., although any county council will have a dept which deals with adoptions.They will guide you. depending on when you were born you will probably have to have the statutory councilling before you are allowed access to your file - don't worry it only a short one off meeting (usually) where they go through the file with you.It isactually quite useful to most and shouldn't deter you. Jess x - another adoptee

♫Jilly McMad♫

♫Jilly McMad♫ Report 26 Mar 2005 01:29

John, Although you have your half sisters 'natural' birth certificate, as far as I'm aware there is no way to cross reference to find her adopted name - as that information would remain confidential. However, if you look up Birthlink with the com and the full stop! lol they could help you make contact with her. birthlink is in Edinburgh and is an adoption/contact agency. I was contacted by them last February to tell me that I had a birth sister who was looking for me and we have since made contact and met up, keep in touch etc. I'm not sure of the fees that they charge but if you want to find your half sister I would definately give them a try! If you want further details of birthlink etc feel free to mail me directly Jill x

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Mar 2005 01:14

Hi John, An adoptee can request their original birth certificate from New Register House in Edinburgh even is they do not know their original name. It takes about three weeks and costs £13. Here are the details that you will need to get hold of it - Email: adoption at gro-scotland.gov.uk Adoption Unit New Register House Edinburgh EH1 3YT Tel: 0131 314 4443 There is no counciling required to get the certificate. Jill is right about not being able to get the adopted name of your sister. That is only available to adoptees themselves. Birthlink is the best place to start to see if she has registered on the Contact Register for Scotland. Good luck with your search. Regards Margaret

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Mar 2005 15:24

John Don't know if you've had a look at your original adoption file at the appropriate Sheriff Court? If not, it may give you some clues abt your background to help you in your searching. You only need to telephone the Court and they will arrange to get the papers and have the Sheriff allow you to see them (with proof of your identity of course!). Rgds Caroline PS they may need a letter too to request the papers.